Choosing a surgeon for high norwood

I am young (28M) looking at first hair transplant options. Unfortunately, strong genetics in my family have caused me to already approach Norwood 6/7 status. I live in US (Texas) but I am looking at best option and some of the top surgeons on my list that I have already consulted with/about to consult with are:

Pittella - Brazil

Leal - Brazil

Sethi - India

Camacho - Colombia

Feriduni - Switzerland

Nader - Mexico

I kicked the tires on Zarev, Cuoto, and a couple other top guys but I don’t think I want to wait until 2026/2027 for surgery and they require a LONG time just to do the in person consultation (and you can’t do virtual). I just started fin/min/biotin (lock lab pill) last month too and take it daily, no side effects so far. I am open (and expect) to do at least 2 procedures (or 3 if needed). Would love input as I am new to this site. Thanks. 

I'd add Dr Bisanga in Belgium on to that list. Very skilled surgeon, and has a good portfolio of high norwoods. Also very adept at using body hair, which is a important factor to consider being when a high norwood seeking a restoration. 

I am currently sitting in Brazil (day 2 post-op). Got it done with Dr. Pittella. Traveled from US. I will be detailing my journey in a few days here. I am super happy so far with my experience with Dr. Pittella and his entire team. They are next level! I had also met Dr. Sethi and talked to Dr. Das from Eugenix. 

Happy to answer any specific questions. I might take longer to respond since I am focused on resting for next couple days and also flying back tomorrow. Cheers!

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

On 1/25/2024 at 4:30 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

ferudini is in belgium, not switzerland

hattingen is in switzerland

Thanks. I got it confused. I am waiting response from both.

On 1/26/2024 at 3:00 AM, Bandit90 said:

I'd add Dr Bisanga in Belgium on to that list. Very skilled surgeon, and has a good portfolio of high norwoods. Also very adept at using body hair, which is an important factor to consider being when a high norwood seeking a restoration. 

Thank you. I did see An amazing result from him this year (top 3 on this site pretty sure for 2023). I took your advice and submitted consult online awaiting a response now.

4 hours ago, YodaHead said:

I am currently sitting in Brazil (day 2 post-op). Got it done with Dr. Pittella. Traveled from US. I will be detailing my journey in a few days here. I am super happy so far with my experience with Dr. Pittella and his entire team. They are next level! I had also met Dr. Sethi and talked to Dr. Das from Eugenix. 

Happy to answer any specific questions. I might take longer to respond since I am focused on resting for next couple days and also flying back tomorrow. Cheers!

Awesome! I have my zoom with Pittella in February. Very excited for that. I got my quote from Sethi and he would be willing to operate on me in late 2024 as well. Identical price basically. 

4 minutes ago, Jason123 said:

Would love to see those photos posted here! It's really important to choose a practitioner who can handle extensive procedures, especially over 5000 grafts. Not everyone's up for that challenge. For instance, there's Aslı Tarcan in Turkey – not a doctor, yet she handles 5500-6000 grafts. The reviews about her clinic are a mixed bag. Personally, I wouldn't go there since I'm not at a Norwood 6-7 level, but if my hair loss were more advanced, it might be a different story.

Is there a way I can DM the pictures on this site? Sorry I’m new here, but it says “you are only allowed to send 0 messages” when I try to message you. Thanks

On 1/28/2024 at 12:01 AM, Rose17 said:

Awesome! I have my zoom with Pittella in February. Very excited for that. I got my quote from Sethi and he would be willing to operate on me in late 2024 as well. Identical price basically. 

Did you mean same price per graft for both Dr. Pittella and Dr. Sethi? 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Dr pittela would be an excellent choice for high NW case....can you please post the pics of the bald area and your donor plus some beard pics as well because beard is a good source when someone needs high number of grafts.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

21 minutes ago, zach07 said:

Did you mean same price per graft for both Dr. Pittella and Dr. Sethi? 

Yes.

Pittella (all doctor) is $5 flat

pittella (help package) is $4 flat

Sethi package is about $4.97 when you add in the 18% India tax.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Dr pittela would be an excellent choice for high NW case....can you please post the pics of the bald area and your donor plus some beard pics as well because beard is a good source when someone needs high number of grafts.

For sure, I’m in the process of growing it out for my consultation later this month. Maybe I’ll post pics later.

HDC has shown some pretty good results with higher NWs.

Zarev and Pitella are both great (Zarev a level by himself) but there are also quite expensive for a NW6-7, considering the number of grafts needed.

Given your extensive hairloss I would focus on another aspect for my decision: look for surgeons who know how to use grafts efficiently. You want all grafts put to good use. Couto, Pinto, Gur, and possibly Pekiner, are the best imo in that specific regard.

Also, it is crucial that you give medication some time, ideally a year or a bit more, before taking the plunge of a HT. Otherwise your donor may not be so strong and furthermore you won't know how many grafts you can save through regrowth.

Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stoner said:

Nader would also feature very highly in the list of surgeons who use grafts efficiently and strategically.

He’s on my list. He said he can do up to 4K in back to back days, then come back for another surgery in 2025 to finish crown. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think actually the 2-3 surgeries approach is generally speaking preferable to mega-sessions. Nader, Couto, Pinto, Gur, Pekiner, they all do it that way.

Keep in mind that even if the appointments offered to you seem distant, most docs have cancellations and relevant cancellation lists so it is likely you could get a spot earlier.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stoner said:

HDC has shown some pretty good results with higher NWs.

Zarev and Pitella are both great (Zarev a level by himself) but there are also quite expensive for a NW6-7, considering the number of grafts needed.

Given your extensive hairloss I would focus on another aspect for my decision: look for surgeons who know how to use grafts efficiently. You want all grafts put to good use. Couto, Pinto, Gur, and possibly Pekiner, are the best imo in that specific regard.

Also, it is crucial that you give medication some time, ideally a year or a bit more, before taking the plunge of a HT. Otherwise your donor may not be so strong and furthermore you won't know how many grafts you can save through regrowth.

Best of luck!

Yes, I am taking fin/min oral every day. By the time I have surgery will be 10-12 months of it.

cuoto wait time is December 2025 for Madrid consult. I’m going to look at some of your other options thank you 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Actually what i believe is there is nothing like a good doctor for high NW case...any doctor who is good will handle all types of cases but yeah if we see who are the ones who are able to do it successfully in single session consistently than we can name dr zarev and dr pittela..even hdc is pulling up in this game of giga sessions and showing cases where they are doing high amount of grafts in single session.

So if you are looking for doctors who can do it in single session thn you have got 3-4 options to consider and if you are planning to do it in phased out approach with multiple sessions than you have got many more doctors to consider.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

2 hours ago, Moses121 said:

How about Hasson ?

Don’t know much about them, but I know their pricing is closer to 8-9$ per graft which makes it quite a bit more than somebody like Pittella, Sethi or Nader.

Agree with Gatsby. But, if you are willing to spread out the procedures, say, two procedures within 12 to 13 months, that will definitely broaden the field to a few more surgeons who can do good work for high Norwoods. Also, as a fellow Norwood 6/7, I would say if you aren't already on it, start low dose oral minoxidil. All the best in your search. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moses121 said:

Is Zarev, Sethi and Pittella strictly based on price over other elites like Hasson & Wong?

No, I’ve seen their work and have watched the interviews and podcasts they have done on this site.