Hoping to travel to US from NZ for FUE

Hi guys. I'm a balding bugger from New Zealand - I've had 700 FUT transplants done previously.

Later this year I'll be visiting San Francisco. While I'm in the USA I want to get an FUE transplant. I want it to be done by the best that there is closest to San Fran - and I don't mind paying for it. At this point I want to get 2000 done.

Research to date:

I've emailed Dr Pak & Rassman who seem to think there won't a problem with FUE.

I've emailed Dr. Cooley's office who recommend against FUE in some circumstances due to the possibility of follicular damage and it diffusely thins the donor bank. I don't really understand the later - does that mean should I ever decide to get an FUT later on in life it will be harder? In which case I suppose I could always get more FUE done.

I feel a little lost. What I suspect is that people who specialize in FUE don't recommend FUT and vise versa.

I want FUE because I may decide to cut my hair short and because I have no time off work. For me the quick healing with FUE is really preferable.

Also push come to shove I'm not in a desperate rush to get everything done at once. So perhaps I should get 1000 FUE transplants now with Pak or somebody else closer to San Fran?

If so I'm wondering if it makes senses to transplant some of the hair from the nape of my neck too? I have enough hair there and the color would match in my frontal hair line - I've read some doctors are doing it.

When I next come back to the USA I could get another 1000 - 1500 FUT. Maybe by then the Dr Cooley's MicroMatrix hair cloning technique will be common practice and FUT will make more sense to me.

Thanks everybody for making this site such a cool resource!!! Any thoughts would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------
700 graphs is never enough! 

Collection of useful links (profiles etc): https://bit.ly/3JC2xwS

If you had FUT done with your first procedure then I would continue down the FUT road. You already have a linear scar. So unless you were going to put a few hundred grafts into that scar, I don't see a purpose going for an FUE second time around.

Also, I highly recommend you look outside of San Fran for other options. Nothing against Rassman, Pak, or whoever. Just research this site like crazy and figure who's work you are most impressed with.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group