Can increasing density to temples and crown destroy existing hair?

Hi all,

I would like to increase density at the temples as well as a thin area at the crown. The crown area is not bald, only thin, and I have already had previous FUE surgery at the temples so they are not bald either.

I understand there is a risk of transsection where new implanted hair may kill existing (native or previously transplanted) hair and would like to get an idea how great the risk is if going to a good clinic.

Has anyone here had a similar procedure and found that they actually ended up with less hair than before (due to transsected  hair or shockloss etc.)?

Thank you

Tom

Thank you Duchaine,

I can see no-one has confirmed whether this is true or not....do you have a link to Bernstein's article by any chance?

29 minutes ago, Thoro said:

Thank you Duchaine,

I can see no-one has confirmed whether this is true or not....do you have a link to Bernstein's article by any chance?

absolutely 100% without a doubt, existing hair is at risk of being killed whenever implanting is done very close by

just like everything in HT world, it depends on your surgeon. 

in general, it should not be a significant concern as long as you go to a good doctor. 

• Like 1

As long as the incision is made parallele to the follicle the risk of transection is preety low. And it also depends on the native density that you have on the crown now and how your hairloss progresses. I can send you a video with dr wong explaining this.

Edited by jjalay

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

absolutely 100% without a doubt, existing hair is at risk of being killed whenever implanting is done very close by

just like everything in HT world, it depends on your surgeon. 

in general, it should not be a significant concern as long as you go to a good doctor. 

It is not only a matter of good surgeon.

if the hair is in telogen, it is not visible, so the risk to add a graft on the native hair is quite high.

2 hours ago, Thoro said:

Thank you Duchaine,

It was on his website  

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/answers/timing-of-a-second-hair-transplant/

read this q/a too.

it is interesting what he says regarding electrolysis and ht.

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/answers/hair-transplant-procedure-existing-hair/

Edited by duchaine

5 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

First time I’ve heard of this.

When the doctor implants among natives, he sees the natives and put new the grafts in the space between the natives.

if the hair is in telogen, there is nothing visibile so he sees a bald spot where, in reality, you have a sleeping hair.