Does oral finasteride shrink your prostate? + will you shed upon switching from topical to oral?

grassPacket

Finasteride is used against an enlarged prostate so I've always wondered: if your prostate ISN'T enlarged, does finasteride reduce it's size past the "normal" point? I'm surprised I've never seen anyone talk/ask this question. 

Also, many people note that after starting finasteride, they begin to shed horribly for a period before seeing growth. If I've been using 0.5 mL daily of a 0.025% solution and start oral, will a shed occur?

1 hour ago, grassPacket said:

Finasteride is used against an enlarged prostate so I've always wondered: if your prostate ISN'T enlarged, does finasteride reduce it's size past the "normal" point? I'm surprised I've never seen anyone talk/ask this question. 

Also, many people note that after starting finasteride, they begin to shed horribly for a period before seeing growth. If I've been using 0.5 mL daily of a 0.025% solution and start oral, will a shed occur?

First of all, 5 mg or more is used for prostate treatment. Usually 1 mg daily or three/four times in a week is used for male pattern baldness. Any mainly minoxidil is responsible for shedding. I never heard that when you start fin you start to shed

40 minutes ago, Eli_Avdikian said:

Finasteride can indeed have a shedding effect, and it's nothing to worry about. I highly doubt that 0.5 ml of 0.025% topical finasteride will have any effect whatsoever on the prostate.

I'm using the topical now, it wouldn't affect me systemically. I ask because I was considering switching to oral and was simply curious about its effects on the prostate

Hi,

My experience but certainly marginal...: I took topical finastride 0.025% for 4 months and started having symptoms of prostatitis. After several months of medical wandering, more than 7 months, I consulted a hard doctor in Paris in France who does hair transplants (Bruno Mousseigne) and who is a former urologist. He looked at my MRI and told me that I have PFS and that my problems come from the fact that since I originally have a rather small prostate for my age, finasteride has reduced its size and that my problems come from there. He suggested I take steroids but I didn't want to, I preferred to wait for it to pass on its own over time.

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV