Hitting head after HT

After my first ht, no problem with not hitting head. This time I must have become unlucky, clumsy and injury prone. 16 days out I hit my head inside the back of my station wagon. Not hard enough to feel pain (I would not think twice about incident if I did not have a ht) but hard enough to have the felt interior top hit the "pine needles" on the top of my head. Per discussion with the resident doctor who assisted with the procedure, he has never seen a hair transplant "compromised" 16 days out by such an incident. Is is correct to assume that after 10 to 14 days,the grafts are in there? I did not see any grafts or blood etc. but can there be damage underneath the scalp that can't be seen?

After my first ht, no problem with not hitting head. This time I must have become unlucky, clumsy and injury prone. 16 days out I hit my head inside the back of my station wagon. Not hard enough to feel pain (I would not think twice about incident if I did not have a ht) but hard enough to have the felt interior top hit the "pine needles" on the top of my head. Per discussion with the resident doctor who assisted with the procedure, he has never seen a hair transplant "compromised" 16 days out by such an incident. Is is correct to assume that after 10 to 14 days,the grafts are in there? I did not see any grafts or blood etc. but can there be damage underneath the scalp that can't be seen?

After 13 days of my HT I hit the mid section of my head (helping my daughter get in her go-cart) where there were new grafts and I did draw blood and it scabbed. I showed my HT doctor when I was getting my sutures out he said all was okay.

Weg

I don't know why, but more people hit their head after transplants. During the day of the procedure when the patient takes a break, I always remind them not to hit their head. Sure enough, a few times a month, patients report that they hit their head. Most of the the time, they report hitting their head when getting in and out of the car.

16 days out from the transplant should be fine. By that time, the grafts have "seeded" and it is more difficult to dislodge the them.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.