starting Propecia question

Posted (edited)

Would it cause the med to be ineffective,  to start with a smaller dose than 1 mg and see how it goes?  I've been reading about the medicine and some of the side effects sound disturbing.. Thanks.

Edited by Electric
spelling

This stuff is more powerful than people think, even 0.25 every other day will get you close to 1mg daily results.

Its all depends on your AGA, I personally use it 1mg EOD but thinking about minimising since I barely lost hair till 35 (Norwood 2.5), I jumped on it cause I scared to lose my HT effect.

Don't start without clean mind, you’ll get nocebo effect.

@Electric,

Believe it or not, large number of men use a smaller dose than what’s  recommended by the company and feel that it’s helping them to maintain their existing natural hair. In fact, sometimes doctors have recommended taking .5 mg every day or 1 mg every other day as opposed to the recommended 1 mg daily.

Taking a lower dose and then potentially switching to a higher dose later is not going to squelch it’s effectiveness. It’s either going to work for you or it’s not.

The possibility of side effects are very real but they are considered rare.  It’s also stated that most individuals who experience side effects will stop experiencing them with continued use.  But, there is also a small percentage of men who have stated they have experienced ongoing side effects even after stopping the medication. This is referred to as post finasteride syndrome (which is considered relatively controversial in the hair restoration community).  That said, it’s important to speak with your doctor about the advantages, limitations and potential side effects associated with this medication so you can make an informed decision as to whether or not it’s for you.

I hope this helps.

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

25 minutes ago, Electric said:

Thanks!

So smaller dose should have the same results to stop further hair loss?

It’s all depends on your genetics, the doses of finasteride lower scalp dht from 50% to 70%, no one know which reduction will completely stop his AGA.

But a few studies showed scalp dht reduction significantly even with continuous use of ridiculous doses like 0.05mg and 0.1mg

51 minutes ago, Electric said:

Wow, thanks.  Do you know if there are any blood tests that can be taken to check levels of DHT rather than just guessing?

There are dht tests, check with your doctor.