What is my chance to continue losing hair? (Photos included)

I’ve made a minor transplant at the age of 34 in the temples which created around the age 27-28.

Today I am 35, it’s been at least 3-4 years of natural stabilisation, I’ve never took 5ARi until a months after the surgery.

Is there any point taking it at my age and my condition? I’ve included photos pre op and today in different lengths.

IMG_2037.jpeg

E971A73A-7B3D-448B-AF25-F326E6359B3D.jpeg

830CC668-52AB-49BE-A5DF-48E62C9050C3.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

651EEAEC-5005-47A2-A821-05C8A8C97408.jpeg

D4EF08FB-C240-483F-BC7C-00FD7C4BEE1F.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg

IMG_2524.jpeg

Why risk it?

• Like 1

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

7 minutes ago, gaz9318054 said:

Why risk it?

Cause I’ve been stable for many years, and as you can see my hair loss is extremely mild.

I thought in mid 30s the process kind of stop or at least completely stabilised.

Does micro dosing fin will work? Like 0.25 ED or EOD?

Some told me that for such weak AGA every micro dosing will preserve the hair since there is barely sensitivity.

But my question stands still, is there any chance to keep losing hair after years of stability?

5 minutes ago, Maorizio said:

But my question stands still, is there any chance to keep losing hair after years of stability?

Yes. No one can tell you how likely it is, though.

If you can mitigate the issue safely, such as taking a doctor-recommended dosage of Finasteride, for example, then that's generally the way to go. My hair loss has been perfectly stable since my early 20s and I'm 38 now, but I still take Finasteride because otherwise I'd be risking the time, effort, and money spent on having my transplant.

Is there some concern with doing so for you?

2 minutes ago, gaz9318054 said:

Yes. No one can tell you how likely it is, though.

If you can mitigate the issue safely, such as taking a doctor-recommended dosage of Finasteride, for example, then that's generally the way to go. My hair loss has been perfectly stable since my early 20s and I'm 38 now, but I still take Finasteride because otherwise I'd be risking the time, effort, and money spent on having my transplant.

Is there some concern with doing so for you?

The only concern is why take medication if there is no problem, I don’t mind losing hair extremely slowly like if in 15 years there will be noticeable area of loss.

I just want it to my 30s 😂 

It worth mention my dht is below normal even without 5ARi

Then maybe it's worth the risk for you. It's definitely not for me, but that's our own call to make. :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you don't want to take meds then don't. If you see your hair getting worse at some time in the future then you can reconsider starting meds at that time.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

@Maorizio,

this is a personal choice that you are going to have to make. But I do suggest considering the pros and cons before coming off any medication. The issue is this. Hair loss is a progressive condition and it will continue up to the point that genetics dictate. Hair loss medication can so down, stop or even help to reverse this process as long as you continue taking it. If your hair loss has been stable due to medication, coming off well almost in definitely put your genetic hair loss into overdrive and you’ll begin losing that hair that was saved due to medication.

if your hair loss has stabilized because you aren’t genetically programmed to lose more hair, then coming off any medication won’t matter.

The problem is, there’s no way to know for sure other than simply coming off the medication to see what happens. The problem is, if you do lose hair because the medication was working, you won’t recover that lost hair even if you resume taking medication.

On the other hand, you may be like me and decide that you don’t wanna take any medication long-term if you could avoid it because you don’t know of any long-term risks. I made a choice about 10 years ago to come off finasteride because I genuinely don’t believe it was working from here based on all of the evidence I’ve seen since I started. 

10 years later, I haven’t lost any additional hair and my hair transplants remain strong.

in your case, you will have to determine at what point your hair loss stabilized… Was it when you started medication or was it before that? And if it was before that, how long before that?

like I said, there’s a risk factor in coming off medication especially if you suspect it was working for you.  but if you’re pretty convinced that your hair loss has stabilized on its own without medication,  then you may make the choice to stop taking it to see what happens.

At the end of the day, it’s your choice. But I do think there’s a pretty big risk that you will Resume losing hair especially given that you do still seem to have a lot of natural hair that could be lost if medication is the reason you haven’t lost more.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Maorizio,

this is a personal choice that you are going to have to make. But I do suggest considering the pros and cons before coming off any medication. The issue is this. Hair loss is a progressive condition and it will continue up to the point that genetics dictate. Hair loss medication can so down, stop or even help to reverse this process as long as you continue taking it. If your hair loss has been stable due to medication, coming off well almost in definitely put your genetic hair loss into overdrive and you’ll begin losing that hair that was saved due to medication.

if your hair loss has stabilized because you aren’t genetically programmed to lose more hair, then coming off any medication won’t matter.

The problem is, there’s no way to know for sure other than simply coming off the medication to see what happens. The problem is, if you do lose hair because the medication was working, you won’t recover that lost hair even if you resume taking medication.

On the other hand, you may be like me and decide that you don’t wanna take any medication long-term if you could avoid it because you don’t know of any long-term risks. I made a choice about 10 years ago to come off finasteride because I genuinely don’t believe it was working from here based on all of the evidence I’ve seen since I started. 

10 years later, I haven’t lost any additional hair and my hair transplants remain strong.

in your case, you will have to determine at what point your hair loss stabilized… Was it when you started medication or was it before that? And if it was before that, how long before that?

like I said, there’s a risk factor in coming off medication especially if you suspect it was working for you.  but if you’re pretty convinced that your hair loss has stabilized on its own without medication,  then you may make the choice to stop taking it to see what happens.

At the end of the day, it’s your choice. But I do think there’s a pretty big risk that you will Resume losing hair especially given that you do still seem to have a lot of natural hair that could be lost if medication is the reason you haven’t lost more.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

I only started finasteride a year ago after the HT.

Looking at my pictures my hair was pretty much the same since 28 to 34 which is a minor temples recession and a slight thinning at the vertex, I think I’ll continue with low dose since my AGA is very weak.

thanks.

At your age the balding is probably not as aggressive as it would have been if you were in your 20s.
If you feel you no longer need to use medication you can get off it. I personally would continue medication for hair maintenance. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sunset Dune said:

At your age the balding is probably not as aggressive as it would have been if you were in your 20s.
If you feel you no longer need to use medication you can get off it. I personally would continue medication for hair maintenance. 

True, but even in my 20s as I said it wasn’t even aggressive just minor temple recession, but I think I’ll continue with low dose, I am fully densed Norwood 1 now so at least I’ll save it in my 30s.