Does anger and stress affect results?

I am going to presume yes, I've had stressful periods where I lose hair. I even had lost transplanted hair temporarily and it has somewhat grown back.

I do have something interesting to share, if we are talking about Physical Stress. My Cousin who is much older than me (Late Forties, Early Fifties) was a NW1 solid hairline, in a workplace accident he lost a finger and it caused quite the shock in his body. And after that in a span of about 4-6 months he became a significantly diffused NW6

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

In general, very high but brief stress (a few weeks or less) at most might delay growth, or it may have no affect at all. Nothing permanent. 

If you suffer through something super extreme and intense (lost at sea, starvation, heart attack, catastrophic injury, grief or other extreme mental stress that lasts for months or longer) then there might be a permanent effect. 

But the normal life ups and downs of stress and anger will have no permanent effect (and likely not even a short term effect)

No, stress or anger cannot affect the outcome of your HT, unless you pluck your hairs out during the first 10 days post-op without realising you are doing it.

Extreme stress, and we are not talking about daily stress, could potentially, at most trigger telogen effluvium, but even that is not clear and it might happen after months, if it happens at all. Stress cannot affect male pattern baldness or the outcome of the HT. Some people think that it accelerates mpb, but they only say that because at a superficial level they get stressed and they are under the impression that temporary hair fall means baldness, which is not true.

If you are on minoxidil, telogen effluvium can't really happen or at least you won't notice anything because new hairs will sprout quickly, stop stressing or thinking about it.

• Administrators

Stress can certainly affect hair loss and hair growth in general. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Stress can certainly affect hair loss and hair growth in general. 

The androgens miniaturize hair, telogen effluvium or any other stress related hair loss won't be permanent.

There are no clinical studies that suggest that stress can cause anything more than a simple telogen effluvium, and if that ever happens it will be due to prolonged, intensive stress, not a couple of weeks of daily stress or palpitations. I suffered from social anxiety disorders, to the point where I had to take oral medication (SSRIs) to manage my stress levels, had weekly sessions with psychiatrists for years. Still, my hair loss occurred years later and it was due to androgens and when I started finasteride all hair loss stopped.