Post op, how long until you can relax?

Hey guys, 

so what day post op can you safety feel you’re out of the danger zone? Every day something small seems to happen to me that worries me. Say for example, today, my girlfriend put her arms around me and kind of ‘cusped’ my scalp, if you know what I mean. This resulted in my scalp ‘tingling’ for a few minutes. I’m 21 days post op. 

Can I stop worrying about these incidental touches and just chill the hell out, or do I still need to be careful?

p.s. happy Christmas! 

Edited by secondtryuser

You can relax now.

I'd recommend still being gentle, but at 21 days post-op, you don't need to worry about casually touching the recipient area.

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

@secondtryuser,

At 21 days postop, the newly transplanted hairs are fully secured and it would literally take surgery to remove them.  Grafts are typically secured between 7 to 10 days after surgery so unless you’re concerned about something that happened in the first seven days, you’re very likely worrying yourself for nothing.

All that to say, you are still in the healing phase which can take some time. In fact, depending on many variables and factors, it could take up to a year or even longer for certain aspects of the procedure to stabilize and become what you would consider normal.

For example, the fact that your scalp seems sensitive to the touch as if there’s some kind of sensation loss can occur for many months and even longer in some casesFor example, the fact that your scalp seems sensitive to the touch as if there’s some kind of sensation loss can occur for many months and even longer in some cases.  Now, I’m not sure exactly what your girlfriend did but it essentially sounds like she touch yourself in a certain way such as by cupping her hand. I don’t know the kind of pressure she used but I imagine it wasn’t hard.  But the tingling you felt is very likely because of the severed nerves during hair transplant surgery.  As previously stated,  any abnormal sensations such as these may take a bit of time before they go away.  Some,  have the potential to never fully go away but they certainly will improve over time.

I hope this helps.

Patient Advocate for Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Starting the second week all folicles should be safe enough for you not to worry about them. You might have the odd episode here and there or some scares but generally the folicles are safe.

I blew a pimple around day 11 and was concearned about having damaged the hairs nearby, I didn't see any of them in my hand and the ones that were near the area remained before shedding in the next two weeks.

Those those same hairs started growing while I was on holiday and are still maturing to this day.