How do you know if your grafts have been damaged from shampoo?

• Sunset Dune changed the title to How do you know if your grafts have been damaged from shampoo?

You mean after a hairtransplant? And how many days after a hairtransplant have you started using these shampoos? This is something really hard to tell, most doctors reccomend to use a baby shampoo with mild ph for the first time after a hairtransplant. If you didnt do that and your ht result was not that good, you can speculate that maybe this was one of the reasons for it but this is an extreme scenario.

12 minutes ago, jjalay said:

You mean after a hairtransplant? And how many days after a hairtransplant have you started using these shampoos? This is something really hard to tell, most doctors reccomend to use a baby shampoo with mild ph for the first time after a hairtransplant. If you didnt do that and your ht result was not that good, you can speculate that maybe this was one of the reasons for it but this is an extreme scenario.

Yes immediately after a hair transplant, after using the doctor recommended shampoo for first 2 weeks after hair transplant and then using  shampoo with harsh ingredients. 

My doctor didn’t recommend a baby shampoo and I didn’t use one either, I just went back to my normal shampoo so how can I tell if my grafts were damaged?

• Valued Contributor

I highly doubt anyone here has damaged their grafts with a shampoo so no one will be able to answer the question.

Also, your grafts are under the surface of the skin, so unless you do some pretty serious post-op damage to your scalp I'm not sure how you damage your grafts beyond the 7 day mark.

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, Sunset Dune said:

My doctor didn’t recommend a baby shampoo and I didn’t use one either, I just went back to my normal shampoo so how can I tell if my grafts were damaged?

You can't know (unless you're heading is pouring with blood or something very obvious), and you're not going to do any harm using a normal shampoo. The reason a baby shampoo might be recommended if because your scalp in the weeks and even months after the op will be red post-op, so something more gentle on the scalp might help sooth things.

If your regular shampoo could "damage" the newly transplanted grafts, then it would also damage your native grafts.

2 minutes ago, Sunset Dune said:

Yes immediately after a hair transplant, after using the doctor recommended shampoo for first 2 weeks after hair transplant and then using  shampoo with harsh ingredients. 

You really cant tell and i think berba 11 is right, its not that easy to harm grafts with any type of shampoo you are using. For the first period after a hairtransplant your skin is sensitive and that is why is reccomended to use a baby shampoo. I suggest talking with your doctor once again and ask him if its better to use a mild shampoo for the first 2-3 months.

8 hours ago, Berba11 said:

I highly doubt anyone here has damaged their grafts with a shampoo so no one will be able to answer the question.

Also, your grafts are under the surface of the skin, so unless you do some pretty serious post-op damage to your scalp I'm not sure how you damage your grafts beyond the 7 day mark.

It’s very unlikely to damage grafts with shampoo.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY