Does your government subsidise your HT?

In Australia, the government has a Medicare system that pays most healthcare costs. This includes and excellent prescription medicine scheme, free public hospitals, and free GP visits. This is courtesy of the fact we have one of the highest tax rates in the world up to 50c in a dollar.

However, Medicare also subsidise "cosmetic" procedures done in our outside Australia at the rate of 20% of total cost over an initial AU$1500. This includes breast implants, laser hair removal, face lifts etc. This means I'd be reimbursed about US$2000 on a US$12,000 procedure - not bad.

I was thinking given that some HT doctors package flights and accommodation, you could realistically get a bigger discount by going to a doctor that has an all inclusive fee including all flights, accommodation, etc because this would also be subsidised to 20%. If the doctor was willing to package the airfaire (or if he even billed you the extra and bought your ticket for you) you could get a 20% discount on your holiday through medicare.

I'm not sure if others have a similair system in other counteries, or have similair experiences. Its just a thought.

In Australia, the government has a Medicare system that pays most healthcare costs. This includes and excellent prescription medicine scheme, free public hospitals, and free GP visits. This is courtesy of the fact we have one of the highest tax rates in the world up to 50c in a dollar.

However, Medicare also subsidise "cosmetic" procedures done in our outside Australia at the rate of 20% of total cost over an initial AU$1500. This includes breast implants, laser hair removal, face lifts etc. This means I'd be reimbursed about US$2000 on a US$12,000 procedure - not bad.

I was thinking given that some HT doctors package flights and accommodation, you could realistically get a bigger discount by going to a doctor that has an all inclusive fee including all flights, accommodation, etc because this would also be subsidised to 20%. If the doctor was willing to package the airfaire (or if he even billed you the extra and bought your ticket for you) you could get a 20% discount on your holiday through medicare.

I'm not sure if others have a similair system in other counteries, or have similair experiences. Its just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunetly, The U.S. government does not reimburse for any elective cosmetic procedures. As far as I know the Canadian government also does not. I regularly allow a travel discount for my patients who are traveling from distant locations. This includes airfare, hotel accomidations, and transportation. If you plan to make a vacation out of the trip than it seems like an excellent idea to come to the states and have the procedure. Good Luck!

Unfortunetly, The U.S. government does not reimburse for any elective cosmetic procedures. As far as I know the Canadian government also does not.

I have been told that HT procedures are tax deductible in Canada. That wouldn't help a US citizen. However, if you are in the US and you do get your procedure done in Canada, you MAY be able to reclaim the GST (our disgusting 7% national sales tax on everything you buy). Reclaiming the GST is only speculation on my part.

I've been doing taxes for around 7 years for friends, family and professionally. Im also an accounting and finance major. Of course, tax laws change form year to year, but it has been my experience that foriegn sales tax CAN be deducted. Go to the IRS website for further info. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure that you have a reputable tax preparer or accountant do this or at least double check this for you with current tax software.

But I will clarify the U.S. Governements way of thinking on this. When you recieve your paycheck, it has been taxed. When you use these post-tax dollars to spend over seas, you have now paid their sales tax. Hense, the tax break. Like I said, check with the IRS website. (I, naturally wont post it here, but type IRS into google, youll find it. Most times, you can even get a live representative to "chat" real time with you, though this may take some time)

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...it has been my experience that foriegn sales tax CAN be deducted.

I should have been more clear. I was referring to reclaiming the GST from the *Canadian* government. I've seen a lot of people getting in trouble for posting links to external websites so I'm not sure what's allowed here (personally I think the "rule" is a bit on the extreme side but what are you going to do?). So, type "CCRA tax refund for visitors" in google (dot "ca") and you'll find the info. It may well be that surgical procedures don't qualify, but by the looks of things, accomodations should.

Ah, ok. Well, I should add that if you are successful in getting the tax back from the Canadian Gov't, I wouldnt try to write it off on your US Fed. tax return...just my two cents...hahaha

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog