Am I Norwood 6 or 7?

• Administrators
On 1/13/2024 at 12:50 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

you are a good candidate for ht

reminds me a bit of the guy who went to mwamba and now rocks amazing hair

This case is similar and almost 10k grafts. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you 5k will do the job. It won’t. You can get the front and middle. But the crown will need almost the same amount. Unless you want have a bald crown. 10k is the number.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

This case is similar and almost 10k grafts. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you 5k will do the job. It won’t. You can get the front and middle. But the crown will need almost the same amount. Unless you want have a bald crown. 10k is the number.

how much grafts did you transplant?

4 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Yeah I agree. Think this basically rules out a HT for me though, because I won't be able to use beard hair. My head hair is brown but turns blonde in the summer. My beard is ginger. From what I read head doner only get around 6k grafts.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

how much grafts did you transplant?

Over 9,000. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, singlefollicle said:

Yeah I agree. Think this basically rules out a HT for me though, because I won't be able to use beard hair. My head hair is brown but turns blonde in the summer. My beard is ginger. From what I read head doner only get around 6k grafts.

Not always, many surgeons can get 10k out of scalp hair. The 6k thing is incredibly outdated.

View my thread

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

is your hair more coarse? because it seemed like your balding was a  more advanced but you still have an amazing result where i think 99% would be super thrilled with...

I have a tiny head. It’s literally like a pin head. That’s why I was able to restore more with less grafts. My hair is medium. Not thin but not super thick. 

View my thread

12 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I have a tiny head. It’s literally like a pin head. That’s why I was able to restore more with less grafts. My hair is medium. Not thin but not super thick. 

I also have a small head. Was your balding about the same as mine?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, singlefollicle said:

I also have a small head. Was your balding about the same as mine?

It was similar. But more diffuse. I had 4 surgeries 30k+ investment. 

View my thread

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

It was similar. But more diffuse. I had 4 surgeries 30k+ investment. 

Do you think if I start with FUT, it will help me max my scalp donor? 

Surgery 1. FUT

Surgery 2. FUT + FUE combo

Sound like a good plan?

Im actually doing a lot of research right now. Going to spend the whole of this year on meds (fin + oral minox), I started in October last year, hopefully I can regrow some crown hair or something (I have tiny vellus hairs all over my scalp, you cant see in pics)

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, singlefollicle said:

Do you think if I start with FUT, it will help me max my scalp donor? 

Surgery 1. FUT

Surgery 2. FUT + FUE combo

Sound like a good plan?

Im actually doing a lot of research right now. Going to spend the whole of this year on meds (fin + oral minox), I started in October last year, hopefully I can regrow some crown hair or something (I have tiny vellus hairs all over my scalp, you cant see in pics)

I think that’s antiquated. It’s now proven that you can get enough grafts using FUE alone. There’s no need FUT unless you already had FUT, or you’re in the US and you want it for budgetary reasons.

View my thread

8 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I think that’s antiquated. It’s now proven that you can get enough grafts using FUE alone. There’s no need FUT unless you already had FUT, or you’re in the US and you want it for budgetary reasons.

Really? So FUT doesn't gain you any grafts at all? Okay FUE it is, so long as I can get 10k from my scalp. Guess I could always use beard hair but keep dyeing it.... Bloody ginger beard 😆

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, singlefollicle said:

Really? So FUT doesn't gain you any grafts at all? Okay FUE it is, so long as I can get 10k from my scalp. Guess I could always use beard hair but keep dyeing it.... Bloody ginger beard 😆

If you mix the beard hair well, it would turn your hair strawberry blonde. It can still look natural. But, make no mistake, this endeavor will take a long time and a lot of money. But well worth it for me.

7B56CDFD-A419-4FF3-91BC-B954BFC4D5D7.jpeg

View my thread

47 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

You could not be more far away from the truth than that. Where did you found this proof? In this podcast you also wonder how much more grafts you could get too if you had proceed with fut too:

And your donor area on the back after so many fue grafts looks heavily compromised.

35 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

If you mix the beard hair well, it would turn your hair strawberry blonde. It can still look natural. But, make no mistake, this endeavor will take a long time and a lot of money. But well worth it for me.

Once again you are wrong. Beard grafts or body hair should not be considered for the first hairtransplant. Recommending 10000 grafts for a NW 5 case with such donor area and saying that fut has no advantages compared to fue is outrageous.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Once again you are wrong. Beard grafts or body hair should not be considered for the first hairtransplant. Recommending 10000 grafts for a NW 5 case with such donor area and saying that fut has no advantages compared to fue is outrageous.

Strawberry blonde, lol...

Edited by jjalay

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jjalay said:

Beard grafts or body hair should not be considered for the first hairtransplant.

Yes they should if the patient is already at NW 6 or has definite signs of heading there. In those cases it's better to mix body hair grafts in from the beginning rather than wait and have to use them in areas that you would rather not use them or have to place them into areas where you'll end up with all body grafts in one section and all scalp grafts in another.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Yes they should if the patient is already at NW 6 or has definite signs of heading there. In those cases it's better to mix body hair grafts in from the beginning rather than wait and have to use them in areas that you would rather not use them or have to place them into areas where you'll end up with all body grafts in one section and all scalp grafts in another.

I am talking about a patinet with virgin scalp and good donor like in this case where the patient is open to fue or fut. In such cases you can maximize the scalp donor via fut or combining fut and fue and you wont need to use body hair. The growth rate of body hair is preety lower than scalp hair which is always the king when it comes to hairtransplants, 70% in the most clinics that are using body hair, in some cases even lower. I agree that body hair is a great source for repair patients or for patient with limited donor area. But not for cases like NW 5 with great donor, in such cases primarly should be used scalp hair, via fut and fue.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:27 PM, jjalay said:

I am talking about a patinet with virgin scalp and good donor like in this case where the patient is open to fue or fut. In such cases you can maximize the scalp donor via fut or combining fut and fue and you wont need to use body hair. The growth rate of body hair is preety lower than scalp hair which is always the king when it comes to hairtransplants, 70% in the most clinics that are using body hair, in some cases even lower. I agree that body hair is a great source for repair patients or for patient with limited donor area. But not for cases like NW 5 with great donor, in such cases primarly should be used scalp hair, via fut and fue.

My only issue with fut, is that I can't buzz it off if it looks bad. I was looking at this guy who had 8300 grafts with similar balding to me, but he still has a horse shoe at the back. 

He hasd fue, so he has the buzz option whenever he wants. If it was me, with the horse shoe, that's what I would do. FUT would not leave me with that option.

19 minutes ago, singlefollicle said:

My only issue with fut, is that I can't buzz it off if it looks bad. I was looking at this guy who had 8300 grafts with similar balding to me, but he still has a horse shoe at the back. 

He hasd fue, so he has the buzz option whenever he wants. If it was me, with the horse shoe, that's what I would do. FUT would not leave me with that option.

This is at 7 months , i dont know how he looks now but if it stayed like this this is a case of poor growth, its not that these 8300 grafts were not enough. Also the survival rate for beard grafts is really not the same with scalp hair, in the most cases around 60-70% of these grafts will grow.

Except from deciding about the technique fut vs fue the most important part is to find the right doctor so that you can have the results that you want. There are risks with both methodes fut or fue. With fut if your scar streches or if the transplant fails you always have the option to do an fue into the scar to cover it up abd buzz cut yiur hair, or even with smp. With fue if you co for such a large procedure there is always the possibility of overharvesting or that the fue scars will strech. In these scenarios if the ht fails and you will need to buzz cut your hair there isnt mch that you can do, except from smp into the donor.

What i am trying to say is that both methodes have risks, but its easier to do a repair if something goes wrong with fut, rather than if something goes wrong with fue.