Is this shock loss at month 4?

Hello,

I went to Dr. Yaman late July for 2500 grafts to get my hairline improved and a little density in my mid-scalp. The procedure went well aside from one side of my hairline not being lowered enough, requiring me to come back the next day and get 50 grafts added. Overall I had a good experience but as I’ve noticed my hair grow back I believe I am missing a good amount of my native hair density. 

Now when I push my hair around I can easily see my bald areas and my scalp is more visible. Does this mean I experienced shock loss or is my native hair still growing? The first pic is me pre-op, I know it looks like I have a good amount of hair but I was thinning a good amount. I was fine with my hair but wanted to potentially get what my old hair looked like. My hair is styled well in here too. Second pic is after I shaved my head. Third pic is post op. 4th pic is approximately more than a month after the procedure, with some shedding. Every other pic after is now at 4 months. 

please help and let me know what you think! I am not on finasteride due to the side effects I had and only taking minoxidil. I was advised to discontinue it 2 months after the procedure. 

I am now starting month 4 and not sure if this is shock loss or a lack of my hair fully grown yet. 

IMG_0515.png

IMG_7661.jpeg

IMG_7714.jpeg

IMG_0587.png

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

IMG_0524.jpeg

Edited by mojones

@mojones,

Shock loss or surgical telogen effluvium can occur at various times and stages of the hair Transplant healing process depending on the patient. But on average, patients typically experience shock loss between 6 to 8 weeks after surgery and can take up to 6 to 12 months for the shocked hair to fully return.

So to answer your question directly, yes, what you are seeing at 4 months postop is likely shock loss and early stages of growth of the transplanted hair.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

59 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@mojones,

Shock loss or surgical telogen effluvium can occur at various times and stages of the hair Transplant healing process depending on the patient. But on average, patients typically experience shock loss between 6 to 8 weeks after surgery and can take up to 6 to 12 months for the shocked hair to fully return.

So to answer your question directly, yes, what you are seeing at 4 months postop is likely shock loss and early stages of growth of the transplanted hair.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

Hello, is there a good chance it will come back? I am not on finasteride because of my side effects last year at 27 years old. I started minoxidil again this past month. Lastly, is there a chance my native hairs that were not affected by shock loss are still growing or not fully sprung yet? My concern is native hairs disappearing. Thank you so much!

Edited by mojones