Cyst or Ingrown Hair

I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I have a red lump in the recipient area that is tender to the touch and kind of firm. I'm not sure if it is an ingrown hair or a cyst. It is about the size of a large pea.

I'm going to put a hot compress on it for awhile and see if that helps but if anyone else has had this please let me know what you did and how it worked out.

Thanks.

FC I just noticed it about an hour ago. I didn't feel anything but was looking in the mirror for new hairs icon_smile.gif That's when I saw it.

After 15 minutes with a hot compress it was almost flat but now it's coming back which leads me to think there's a nice long ingrown hair in there. The problem is I don't want it to get infected but I don't know how to get it out.

HMO here you go. From the top of the red area to the bottom is 1/2 inch. It is on the right side and that is my temple point just below it. I looked at my post op photos and it was definitely grafted in this area.

Again it's tender to the touch but otherwise I can't feel it. Of course the pic is 2D so you don't see it's protuberance.

IMG_0031.jpg.1f181cd478c1761697521a3d907616e0.jpg

Phil,

This is very normal and is as you suspected an ingrown. Let it run its course and it will go away. If it comes to a white head then you can squeeze it out to relieve the pressure then put a bit of Neosporin on it to be safe. You're going to get more of these so get used to iticon_wink.gif

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Jotronic:

... Let it run its course and it will go away. If it comes to a white head then you can squeeze it out to relieve the pressure then put a bit of Neosporin on it to be safe.

Hi Phil

You had your hair transplant on January 18 and may get a few pimples in the next few months. I usually tell my patients that they can ignore a few pimples or ingrown hairs as they will usually break in the shower or resolve on their own. If you get too many, you can contact Dr. Hasson as there are treatments that can be used to suppress pimples (like antibiotics for acne).

Jotronic usually gives very good advice but I would check with Dr. Hasson before squeezing the pimples. I usually tell my patients not to squeeze pimples. They would probably break outwards but if they break inwards that can cause inflammation under the skin. If they are too big or sore, I advise my patients that they can puncture the whitehead with a sterilized needle to release the pressure. (A new pin or needle can be boiled in water for 5 minutes.)

If in doubt it is always best to check with your doctor.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Sorry I misread your HT date. That is good news because you will likely get fewer pimples as you get further from your hair transplant date.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Simmons,

Thanks for the input. If I had told Phil to squeeze the cyst in it's current state (shown in the photo) then you are correct that there would be a chance that the cyst could break inside thus potentially causing the issues you mentioned. However, if you notice, I told Phil to wait till the cyst forms a whitehead. This will ensure that when he squeezes it the material within the small cyst will break outwards since the head is by far the weakest point of the cyst.

I have been telling patients this for about eight years now since this is exactly what Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong told me when I was a patient and had the exact same issue and subsequent questions. To this date there have been zero issues with this approach.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians