Body hair transplants

Hello. Is it true that:                              - Patients won't be able to grow facial hair again if surgeons take grafts from facial hair ?                        - Patients will have to keep their hair short for the rest of their lives if the grafts are extracted from body hair ?

• Moderators

Once you remove a hair follicle you won't grow new hair in that spot where it was taken. Depending on how much beard hair you have, if you are able to remove only hair from under your chin then you'd still be able to grow a beard without much noticeable difference. I was able to get over 3000 beard grafts from under the chin and the neck area, so from the front I still look the same if I grow a beard now. If I were to grow it long it would probably be noticeably thinner due to not having much behind the frontal chin hair, but if I keep it short you wouldn't know the difference. However just to be clear I personally never grow a beard other than for a couple of weeks before and after surgery.

My beard hair that's been transplanted to my scalp grows to 4 inches and would probably grow longer if I let it, but that's about as long as I've let it get to before cutting it. It actually grows faster than my native scalp hair, so I have to trim it often to keep it all the same length. My chest hair is similar, but it seems to maybe grow slightly slower and maxes out at between 3 to 4 inches I think.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.