Am I allowed and should I moisturize recipient area? (10 days post op)

All my scabs were gone at day 8, but I noticed the recipient area is flaky and dry, like if lightly massage it or scrape the outside area there is this dry almost scaly looking layer.

should this be moisturized? I’ve been following operation order of wash with panthenol and the low ph soap clinic gave me.

I’m just wondering if this is normal for recipient area now to feel dry and have this dry layer of skin on it. Should I just leave it alone and continue washing normally?  Or should I keep using saline spray on it? Even though scabs are gone.

I mean is it normal to begin with?

thanks.

Edited by baldingbosnian

Dryness of the scalp is typically the result of alcohol content in the shampoo.  Try using baby shampoo.  

There are no restrictions after 7 days, you can now return to normal washing.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

1 hour ago, baldingbosnian said:

All my scabs were gone at day 8, but I noticed the recipient area is flaky and dry, like if lightly massage it or scrape the outside area there is this dry almost scaly looking layer.

should this be moisturized? I’ve been following operation order of wash with panthenol and the low ph soap clinic gave me.

I’m just wondering if this is normal for recipient area now to feel dry and have this dry layer of skin on it. Should I just leave it alone and continue washing normally?  Or should I keep using saline spray on it? Even though scabs are gone.

thanks.

Couto recommends using alcohol free aloe vera gel

6 hours ago, baldingbosnian said:

thanks.

Many clinics recommend saline spray for a couple of weeks after the surgery,other clinics dont recommend it at all. You should definitely wass your hair daily with baby shampoo for the first 3-4 weeks after surgery. Other than that you should really ask the clinic too about your concerns and what they recommend.

At this point in time post-op, it makes better sense to use a moisturizing cream such as one with aloe vera.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

As others have said best to speak with your clinic but I suffered with quite a bit of dry skin in weeks 2-3 and was given a saline spray by the clinic that I used a few times a day which really helped (also helped keep the itching at bay), from a shampoo perspective I used Johnsons baby shampoo every day from week 2 and by week 4 things seem to be pretty good.