Scalp DHT vs Blood DHT Measurement

jim1973

I haven't read many posts where people are confirming their scalp DHT results when taking medication such as Finasteride or Dutasteride (or possibly other topical products).  Is that because there really isn't an easy and efficient way to test scalp DHT?  I'm one of those individuals who doesn't seem to be responding to oral Dutasteride .5mg/day (and oral Min 5mg/day) so was considering checking scalp DHT to see if its truly DHT or something else.  Has anyone else tested scalp DHT and how different was it than your serum DHT?  What did you change to lower it appropriately?  I'm considering switching to topical products and stopping oral products as it seems this might be better for me.  Thoughts?

• Administrators

The only way to measure scalp DHT is through a biopsy.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 10:55 AM, Melvin- Admin said:

The only way to measure scalp DHT is through a biopsy.

My serum DHT on oral Dutasteride for a year is well below the normal range but I'm still losing ground.  I'm wondering if my scalp DHT is still too strong.  Have you heard of people not responding to oral medications due to stomach digestive issues or liver metabolizing issues?  If so, I wonder if those individuals could be better responders to topicals.  

• Administrators
20 hours ago, jim1973 said:

My serum DHT on oral Dutasteride for a year is well below the normal range but I'm still losing ground.  I'm wondering if my scalp DHT is still too strong.  Have you heard of people not responding to oral medications due to stomach digestive issues or liver metabolizing issues?  If so, I wonder if those individuals could be better responders to topicals.  

If your systemic DHT is low, so would your scalp DHT. You could be losing ground by other issues, like scalp inflammation. Are you on minoxidil? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

If your systemic DHT is low, so would your scalp DHT. You could be losing ground by other issues, like scalp inflammation. Are you on minoxidil? 

Yes, also on 5mg of oral minoxidil.  Also using a laser cap regularly and 2% keto shampoo.  I had a scalp biopsy done and nothing was diagnosed.  I'm thinking stomach/liver could be culprit for "non-responders" since the oral meds require proper absorption and metabolizing.  

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

But aren't there studies that show some people's scalp DHT remains high even if serum DHT is lowered?  I thought I read that not everyone's scalp DHT gets highly effected by oral meds.