Do Hair Transplants Thin? THE TRUTH with Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Wong, and Dr. Bisanga

Does the transplant thin because  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, manutd4545 said:

In Dr Feriduni's opinion the follicle groups reduced, he stated that all hairs on our heads have a certain life and what was once 3/4 follices reduced to maybe 2/3 and 1/2. Either way was most of my transplanted hair thinned and probably fell out. I sent him that photo to ask for his opinion. The one with the hair is 1 year post op from my 2nd with the worst picture being 10 years after.

Your case is quite surprising and interesting. I don't know of any cases where the extra dht protection of oral finasteride failed to "boost" the dht resistance of the transplanted donor hair. 

Actually your donor, from your other thread, looks pretty healthy too. 

To be honest I am not really sure and was looking at old photos to try and see. The issue is I was a regular user of toppik so was masking what I actually looked like all the time. I would guess about 5 years until things slowly started to change. The photos on here that I posted pre-op actually took me by surprise as I visited Farjo thinking my crown was the main issue in the original consultation.   It certainly grew well in 2011 with 2,968 grafts then followed up with 1,628 in 2013 with no sign of transplanted hair thinning. I would say about 2018 when things began to change. In 2019 is when I started researching hairloss again.

I did pose the question to Dr Feriduni who said all hair on our head has a certain lifecycle whether DHT resistant or not. That however does not explain why my donor is still fine.

Edited by manutd4545

Interesting. So many hair clinics claim 100% donor dominance (transplanted hair has the characteristics of the donor area), but I don’t think that’s necessarily true. There are a couple studies and some anecdotal cases like yours where recipient site characteristics have an influence. It seems like how big that influence is depends on the patient