Yomommyz

I was very happy with the results on my hair....much thicker, healthier, fuller hair... and didn't experience any loss after taking the drug... unfortunately, after 9 months i stopped because the side effects were to bad... but as far as the results on my hair i was very very satisfied...

yomommyz,

I'm 31 and have been taking proscar 1.25mg/day for about 6 years. It has not completely stopped my hair loss, however has slowed it down very considerably. I began losing my hair at 20, and started to use rogain shortly thereafter. I couldn't tell you if it did any good, but I didn't continue using it because it was a pain in teh but and all my pillows started turning yellow. I started proscar around 25-26, and have been on it ever since. My younger brother is bald and most of the men on my moms side of the family are completely bald. I have very thick hair everywhere except for my receding hairlines. From what I undersand, both rogaine and proscar don't really do as much for the hairlines as they do for the crown. I would recommend using it as long as you don't have any serious side effects. I've noticed sometimes that I get a sligt bit of discomfort in my testicles, however I take it before I go to bed so I don't really notice it much. I've been to the doctor and they where not concerned about it. I hope this helps & good luck with everything.

I've used Popecia/Proscar/Finasteride for more than 10 years. I recently quit for about 2 months and lost ground for the first time in years. I'm back on the medication as of yesterday.

My suggestions it to give it a try. You will know if it works for you but plan on giving the medication 6 months to 1 year. Then re-evaluate and decide if it's worthwhile for you to continue taking the medication. Of course, if you experience significant side effects, you will know that too. Then another decison must be made. Good luck in your search for answers.

yommomyz, I have not had any erection problems since I've been on Proscar. I'm still as horny as ever so the sex drive is not a problem either. The only thing I can say that is negative about Proscar is that I get a dull slight ache in me testys occasionaly. Docs aren't worried about it so I deal with it. I couldn't imagine being bald so it's worth it to me. Good luck man, & if you have any other questions you can always e-mail me. My emeail is located on my member profile.

Yomommyz, from what I've read, the studies that have been done have been mainly measured by the growth rate of the crown. This does not mean that Propecia wont work on the top of the head or even the front, however since the study was only conducted on the crown, they can't make a claim that it works other places. Like I said, this is just what I've read, I'm definetly not an expert on the drug. From my own experiance, it has definetly not stopped the hair loss in my temples or the front, but it has slowed it down to a very slow crawl. My barber told me that I have no sign of hair loss in my crown or the top of my head. I have alot of hair everywhere but the temples. Hope this helps.

When I started using it many years ago I had an amazing result. It pretty much restored all of my crown hair. However it's effectiveness slowly wore off after about three years and I lost what I had gained. I finally quit after 5 years of use and noticed no difference. It had done all it could do at that point.

yommomyz, I took minox 5% for a couple of years prior to taking Proscar and only a short time after, don't know if it helped cause I used it on my temples mainly. I got tired of the wet look it gave me every morning when i put it on. Not to flattering to have the front of your head looking wet when you are already thining. Also, when I put it on at night I had to be carefull how I slept or all my pillows turned yellow.

yomommyz, It's greatr to here that you are going to do more research before, if ever, starting on Propecia. However, remember that if you truly are being effected by MPB, the sooner you start, the better results you will potentialy have. Just something to think about, good luck.

yommomyz, Ya I stopped takimng Rogaine because it isn't proven to work as well for the hairlines as it is on the crown and because of the other reasons I mentioned. Looking back, I would have stayed on it a little longer while taking Proscar as well. I'm still taking Proscar and the only thing I see changing with my hair is the temples are still receeding, Damn It! I think Proscar is better because, for one, you pop it in and forget about it, and two, it works all over the head by inhibiting DHT conversion. Rogaine only works where you apply it.

yomommyz, from what I understand, Proscar & Propecia are both Finesteride. One is just given in a 1 mg version and marketed for hair loss so they can charge more(Propecia). Proscar is the generic version and it comes in 5 mg pills. I cut mine in fourths and take 1.25mg/day.

I don't know when it started working because I had no thining on top or back of my head. I believe it's probably slowing my hair loss however since my temples are still receeding, I'm not sure when it actually kicked in and started working. Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I just didn't have anything obvious happen after I started taking it.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Yomommyz:

guys thank you!@# Very appreciative..

My answer is..I will definitely stick with Propecia for two years no matter what, (Probably five years) Unless something crazy happens..

I think with propecia the worst thing that can happen is the erection thing..

You guys been taking it longer than any one i know.. Is it a problem with your wife's..Are they happY as well as you..?

Just curious as to if the choice really is ..Your penis or your hair!!

yomommyz icon_wink.gif

Its definately the wife ! We had sex once a week and it was o.k but due to other issues in the relationship (namely her control issues) we got seperated. Now I have a girl friend and we are having sex 4-7 times each weekend and Ive been taking 1/4 tab Proscar M-W-F through out my marriage and now my relationship to my girlfriend as I wait for the divorce papers ...

... definately the wife and not the proscar/penis.

SDM

Hi All,

I have been avid reader of the forum ,though i am posting here for the first time.

I am really confused about my hair loss situation.I am 26 currently and started noticing thinning of my hair at the top around 18 mnths back.I have history of thin hairs in my family and few of my uncles are bald.Though i must say i have not noticed any signifacnt hair loss/shedding ever ,though i always have had thin hairs.

Around 15 mnths back i started on Finasteride tablet (Finax) and Minoxidil.Though couldn't continue minoxidil as found it too clumsy In terms of Finax due to travelling i missed the dosage (1mg) sometimes for around 20 days..that has happened 2-3 times.I was completing my masters those times so took it easy.

I have been taking finax now regularly for last month ..but thinning on my top has remained same or i would say worsened a liitle (Compared to 18 mnths ago).Now i have some questions

Should i continue taking Finax.though it doesn't seem to be doing the goods for me ??

As i have diffused thinning ..should i consider going for an HT.? I really want to get rid of thinning areas..

Their seems to be no major hair shedding for me..either on finax or not..what does it mean.?

My hairline has not receded much and my hairs do grow long..so is their a possibility of shock loss??

As you can see i am pretty confused..basically Finax doesn't seem to be working for me..and i really want to add density and get rid of the bald patches..

I am attaching my pics for reference.

SDC10036.thumb.JPG.ae375df0a850c3bc647a87655a6df499.JPG