1st Time Procedure with Couto - Need Advice from Couto Patients & Other Patients

Hi guys.. I'm scheduled to see Couto in a couple of months and I'm scared shitless! It'll be my 1st time ever traveling internationally. I'll be traveling from the northeast of USA to Spain. I have a few questions:

1) Whats the cheapest and nearest hotel to Couto's clinic? How much did you pay a nite?

2) Is the hotel a walking distance to Couto?

3) What can I expect before, during and after the surgery while staying in Spain?

4) Any advice before going?

Hey @wprevil I answered these questions in the first post of my own experience thread (see the tagline). Dr. Couto is extremely personable and easy to get along with. His staff is excellent.

The only issue I had going to and from Spain was dealing with my luggage after the surgery -- the airport staff wouldn't lift my luggage onto the rack and I couldn't do any heavy lifting so I had to ask other passengers to help, and they were kind of annoyed.

Hotel and logistics stuff is all in my first post, it was a while ago so I don't remember the details off the top of my head but I did my best to provide a step-by-step guide.

You're in good hands. Just trust the process.

When I travel to locations such as Madrid and other large cities throughout Europe, I have a tendency to use hotels that are part of large chains. So I chose the Hilton.
One of the reasons I do this is because I know what to expect from the corporate hotels and once you’re done with surgery I don’t want any issues. 
I can promise you, your experience will be excellent, but keep in mind this is surgery and it’s no joke…. It’s not a haircut. You will be fine guaranteed!!! He is an amazing surgeon but an amazing guy! Candy at the front desk is equally fantastic!

12 hours ago, Ramsey said:

When I travel to locations such as Madrid and other large cities throughout Europe, I have a tendency to use hotels that are part of large chains. So I chose the Hilton.

I'm trying to keep costs down. Thats why I'm opting for cheap, no frills hotels or a hostel. Let me know what you think

15 hours ago, consequence said:

Hey @wprevil I answered these questions in the first post of my own experience thread (see the tagline).

Thanks.. I'll check out your post. If I have any questions I'll be sure to pm you if thats ok. Thanks for the vote of confidence as well!

The only issue I had going to and from Spain was dealing with my luggage after the surgery -- the airport staff wouldn't lift my luggage onto the rack and I couldn't do any heavy lifting so I had to ask other passengers to help, and they were kind of annoyed.

Why weren't you able to lift your own luggage?

Edited by wprevil
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 6:43 PM, wprevil said:

I'm trying to keep costs down. Thats why I'm opting for cheap, no frills hotels or a hostel. Let me know what you think

it's not really the time to cheap out, I don't think you should be cheap, you already spent probably more than 10k for the transplant itself, due yourself a favor and pick a good hotel or airbnb. you don't want to ruin your expensive transplant trying to save few hundreds. 

you will make money again, don't cheap out for that stuff pls

Congratulations on this choice. Dr Couto and his team are wonderful and you will feel like one of the family after 3 minutes in their clinic.

You have different accomodation services around from Hotels to vacation apartments. I stayed at a hotel around 12 min. walking distance from the clinic. You will find something for sure.

Just relax. Enjoy your visit to Madrid because is a lovely city. Dr Couto and his team will do their magic.

On 10/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, wprevil said:

Thanks.. I'll check out your post. If I have any questions I'll be sure to pm you if thats ok. Thanks for the vote of confidence as well!

Why weren't you able to lift your own luggage?

I tried to avoid all heavy lifting after surgery. You can ask any questions in the forums so if others have them they can be answered publically. Buena suerte.

Hey guys and girls. I always like to do a follow up so you can see how great it feels to have gone through this and be loving my life. So here again are some follow ups. Heading out for the night so hair is washed and gel is in. People wanna critique density, design, etc…

At 54 years old I am f**king thrilled out of my mind and again I will scream from the roof tops….Dr Juan Couto is simply a god!!! 
So happy he took care of me and we became friends!!!!

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5073.jpeg

IMG_5074.jpeg

IMG_5075.jpeg

On 10/6/2023 at 9:37 PM, Ramsey said:

Hey guys and girls. I always like to do a follow up so you can see how great it feels to have gone through this and be loving my life. So here again are some follow ups. Heading out for the night so hair is washed and gel is in. People wanna critique density, design, etc…

At 54 years old I am f**king thrilled out of my mind and again I will scream from the roof tops….Dr Juan Couto is simply a god!!! 
So happy he took care of me and we became friends!!!!

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5074.jpeg

Ramsey thanks for the updated pics. You look amazing. If you would grow your hair like 2 more inches in the back you would look like a rock star.

Hope I can share the same success you've had with Couto. But admittingly I'm scared which I'm sure you understand when you went to the clinic.

Btw how many hours was your procedure?

On 10/4/2023 at 11:44 AM, RobertoDeNiro said:

Just relax. Enjoy your visit to Madrid because is a lovely city. Dr Couto and his team will do their magic.

Thanks I'm trying to relax but 3 things bother me heavily about this process: Fear of flying, getting lost in Madrid and a bad ht outcome.

Keep in mind this will be my 1st time traveling outside USA.

Yes Spain is the most beautiful country in the world based on what people have told me.

Edited by wprevil

On 10/2/2023 at 3:34 PM, TorontoMan said:

I would also travel with a carry on rather than checking luggage in because there’s no chance for the airline to lose your things, and you don’t want to deal with that potential headache.

Yeah I just plan carrying a bookbag with 1 pair of pants, 2 underwears, 2 shirts, 2 sweaters, 1 towel, soap, toothpaste and toothbrush... and thats it. I'll only be there for 8 - 9 days.

4 hours ago, wprevil said:

Fear of flying, getting lost in Madrid and a bad ht outcome.

Flying is the safest form of long distance transportation the world has ever known. It’s far safer than driving a car, so try not to stress too much about that part. It’s almost impossible to get lost with a smart phone. Just make sure you contact your carrier before traveling to make sure you have some kind of international plan set up. Keep your phone on you and you won’t have any issues. Cuoto is one of the best, so as far as a bad outcome goes, you’ve done everything you can to avoid it. You are going to come out on the other side of all this wondering what you were so worried about 😉 congrats on taking the leap and good luck!

12 hours ago, Will_the_way said:

Flying is the safest form of long distance transportation the world has ever known. It’s far safer than driving a car, so try not to stress too much about that part. It’s almost impossible to get lost with a smart phone. Just make sure you contact your carrier before traveling to make sure you have some kind of international plan set up. Keep your phone on you and you won’t have any issues. Cuoto is one of the best, so as far as a bad outcome goes, you’ve done everything you can to avoid it. You are going to come out on the other side of all this wondering what you were so worried about 😉 congrats on taking the leap and good luck!

Hey greatly appreciate the huge vote of confidence. I really need it going forward.

Yes, the phone is one's best friend nowadays - an indispensable tool. As far as cell carrier is concerned, I plan to buy a cheap sim card at the airport since they go for $20 and provide free text and calls - not bad for 10 days.

Very much looking forward to coming "out on the other side of all this wondering what" I was thinking.This is by no small measure the biggest decision I've ever made in my life.

Hey guys I need you to answer these few questions please:

- I'm going for 3 days of surgery for 3000 grafts. Do some guys come out of surgery without a swollen face?

- How long does it take for swelling to go away?

- Can you buy a cheap sim card at the airport in Spain?

• 1 month later...

1) As to the shampooing 2 days after your last surgery, did you shampoo every day with the little bottle containing water and shampoo?

2) The instructions call for shampooing twice a day. Is this twice in one sitting? Or once in the day and once at nite?

3) Did this also include shampooing the donor area?