Best plane seat for the return journey home after transplant?

I'm planning to return home about 3 days after my transplant. What's the best place to sit on a plane? Heard at the back by the window is pretty good but I'm worried that cabin pressure might be stronger in the back. Would the middle by the window be better? Is retuning 3 days after transplant also safe?

Also how can I avoid accidentally sleeping on my side or touching my scalp while sleeping after the procedure?

Edited by TheDarkHour

Well I am a pilot and I can guarantee you that the pressurisation within the tube itself is equal everywhere 😂 Lol… I had business on my flights so the middle seat was free so no one to hit me with an elbow.. I have used a travelling pillow so I cant turn, in general just use common sense and try to keep things simple..

• Like 1

Travel light.  If you get too active after the procedure, it's likely you'll swell.  This typically happens on or about the third day.  It will travel down your face and drain at the neck.  You may also want to consider checking the bag.  The clinic will probably give you a post op kit - the last thing you want is for TSA to take these things away from you.

Peace and quiet.  That's what I would want.  The farther up you are, the less people you'll see.  Get there early and tell the attendant you just had a medical procedure and see if they can help you.  Hopefully then can give you a row all to yourself.  Also sit in isle if possible so you can easily go to the restroom without having to ask others to get out of the way.  Keep things as easy as possible. Take a travel pillow and carry some pain meds with you in case you need to take some.  You can also wear a loose-fitting cap which will help for you to avoid touching anything. Try wearing a button down shirt.  This will help you avoid having to pull anything over the head. 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

window seat is the obvious answer. Middle and especially aisle increase the chances of you bumping into something. 

All in all the dangers of traveling post HT are overblown as long as you use common sense and be cautious. 

Be cautious, be aware of your surroundings, make sure not to bump into the overhead compartments. 

If you can I would get the best seat you can (1st class, business, economy plus, etc). not only will the increased space act as extra protection, but I'm sure you will want to be as comfortable as possible while going home. 

I sat in the leg room seats by the wing and by the window.

It was enough space to go to the bathroom without disturbing people and had lots of room to get comfortable.

If it were a long flight with beds, I've have flown business.

I also booked into the lounge so that I could make sure I had a place to sit and could hydrate,  eat  and have access to a decent rest room before getting on the plane.

• Valued Contributor

Window seat. Middle is horrible generally and aisle seat you’ll have people faffing with the overhead compartment above you plus people going past you every so often. Window mitigates all of that. 

Never hurts to ask the desk attendant by the boarding gate if you can board first. Explain you’ve had a surgery & want to avoid all the hustle & bustle and they’ll surely accommodate. 

In terms of sleeping… neck pillow & a sleeping pill or two should do the trick if you find it hard to sleep on planes generally. 

• Valued Contributor

I think the seat behind the emergency exit door. In all honesty (if you can avoid an isle seat) then anywhere is really fine. I had a mid isle seat on my first HT return flight the day after six straight days of surgery. I still managed to spray my grafts every two hours. When I took a toilet break I started chatting with a flight steward and it was obvious that I had a hair transplant. He told me that he was taking dutasteride. We kept chatting and he ended up bumping up to business class! To be honest I think spraying those grafts is more important than the seat as long as you are mindful of your head with overhead compartments etc.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, Berba11 said:

In terms of sleeping… neck pillow & a sleeping pill or two should do the trick if you find it hard to sleep on planes generally. 

Is it safe to take sleeping pills the night before a transplant? My transplant is over 5 days so would it be okay for me to take them each night before the procedure? The pills I use have  diphenhydramine hydrochloride as the active ingredient as opposed to melatonin.

• Valued Contributor
7 hours ago, TheDarkHour said:

Is it safe to take sleeping pills the night before a transplant? My transplant is over 5 days so would it be okay for me to take them each night before the procedure? The pills I use have  diphenhydramine hydrochloride as the active ingredient as opposed to melatonin.

That’s a question for your surgeon really.