Attacking hair loss at 22

Hello!

I am 22 years old ( from Greece) and I suffer from  attacking hair loss. I have used regaine for about 1 month 2 years ago but I stopped it because it made more hairs to drop. ( I know that’s its effect). My dad is bald since his 20s, my brother a little bit later while he was using minoxidil. The most of my relatives are bald. 

I have already booked to Mr cinik for HT but after some search on forums, I’ ve been told that I am young enough and I should first begin taking mino, fina and having a therapy. 

I think that the only thing that the therapy can do is to keep the hairs I have for a little while as it did to my brother’s. On November I will got the surgery and right now I am bit worried I can say.

What do you suggest me to do? 

I appreciate your response! 

thank you! 🙂

6C60D7CA-AB9F-48E1-8CD3-C090D61B32CD.jpeg

18DF75C3-E7B9-44D3-801D-CD526ECB71D0.jpeg

36F73F7F-ACBE-4389-A7A9-CA0510147617.jpeg

57B76937-ACCF-46BC-B1F6-12CA40924AD2.jpeg

806194CF-DA89-4007-8052-FF6BC3B082CD.jpeg

4C37B062-40A1-4A5E-997D-A90BB82F1430.jpeg

81E04E67-7779-4459-A9C4-6F00DFD06525.jpeg

0E414678-32E3-4F92-9B92-9D0375296EBA.jpeg

• Administrators

DO NOT GET SURGERY! 

You’re way too young, and your hair loss is too aggressive. Dr. Cinik is a hair mill. You need to get on finasteride and minoxidil for at least a year. You will be in a disastrous situation if you don’t do this. 

• Like 4
  • Well Done 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

DO NOT GET SURGERY! 

You’re way too young, and your hair loss is too aggressive. Dr. Cinik is a hair mill. You need to get on finasteride and minoxidil for at least a year. You will be in a disastrous situation if you don’t do this. 

If I shave my hair and begin using fina and and minox will I have any results or it needs to have long hair? Thanks!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Giorgio said:

If I shave my hair and begin using fina and and minox will I have any results or it needs to have long hair? Thanks!

You will see results even with buzzed hair. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

I suggest shaving, while taking medication. Surgery is not an option.

View my thread

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Giorgio said:

What do you suggest me to begin with? Fina once per day and regaine (foam or lotion) twice? They told me that I have to make some tests before taking fina pill. 

Finasteride 1mg per day. I would skip topical minoxidil and take oral minoxidil. 5 mg minoxidil once per day.

• Like 1

View my thread

For what it's worth, you look great with a buzz cut. IF the meds don't work and a tranplant isnt viable, SMP could make you look great. You've got the jaw and the head shape for it.

Edited by HHH
  • Like 1

You do have a good head shape for the shaved head, plus your skin looks to be a bit on the darker side, which IMO is a big advantage for guys who shave their head. As someone who is fair skin, I  believe only guys with darker skin can get away with a bald head and actually not have their looks impacted too much from it, if they have the right head shape. The cousins from breaking bad, the Rock, etc. then of course many men of African descent can also get away with it, still need to have the right head shape though.

As mentioned, you are very young and need to try the meds, I’d say for at a minimum 2 years, and see where you are at age 24. Maybe you will respond well and ideally can wait until your late twenties or later for the HT.

Edited by Savemyhairline

Hello guys! 
I decided to shave my hair. But I’m really thinking of doing HT in the future. Could please let me know if it’s worth now to start meds with this haircut? Will it have any results? Also what treatment do you suggest me to begin with? I have been told that if I wanna start fina it needs have a check by doctor and make some medical examinations, which scares me a bit. 

Thanks a lot!

6FBCB83A-97B8-4EFB-8682-EF4875C51899.jpeg

• Administrators

Yes you will see results. 

Heres an example:

image.jpeg

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

Buzz cut looks great!

As others have said, start out on finasteride - try a lower dose initially if you want to build up gradually (either 1mg every other day, or 0.5mg daily - you'll need a pill cutter). Minoxidil is another option of course and can be used alongside finasteride. What you want to observe over the course of the next year or two on fin &/or min is your hairloss slowing down, stabilising or even reversing.

Obviously medical intervention is a commitment of time & money. The third option is you make your peace with hair loss, keep the short buzz and let nature take it's course. You can always review a HT in your early thirties when your hair loss will have slowed naturally and your overall pattern of loss is better predicted.

In both of the above approaches, you're going to have to play the long game at your age either way. Definitely do not get surgery any time soon.