Will a buzzcut look ok 6 months after transplant surgury?

In case I don't like the outcome of my surgery (most likely due to lack of density - or not being able to find a hair style that I like), can it look ok to then just go with buzz cuts?

I'm currently Norwood 6 (40+ yeas old - have been balding for almost 20 years - no meds). Have been advised I need 6,000 grafts over two procedures. Im booked in for the first procedure focusing on the front and mid areas. Will get the second for the crown. as soon as advisable.

Will it look weird to buzz cut without getting the crown procedure done?

Thanks guys :)

i just read @hairman22’s post.

I guess this is what I could expect. Turkhair, I agree with you in that it is visible. If it looks bad… well that’s subjective.

Interested to hear if others shave/ buzz their hair after FUE or if the community generally thinks its a bad idea or not.

@hairman22 Would you feel comfortable shaving your head now? Is this something you’ve ever done?

1 hour ago, Jamie_Finndust said:

I guess this is what I could expect. Turkhair, I agree with you in that it is visible. If it looks bad… well that’s subjective.

Your scars aren’t going to be the same because a different surgeon will perform them. His surgeon was Zarev I believe and he does a homogenous full donor extraction which is unique to him and other doctors don’t follow the same plan. So your scars might actually look less obvious or maybe even worse. He also hasn’t shown his initial Norwood level. How a NW6 after extraction will look is NOT going to be the same as say how a NW3 will look despite having the exact same number of grafts extracted. 

I think you’re going on with too high hopes into a transplant and will leave disappointed. 

Once you’ve had work done on you, the path to shaving or buzzcuts is gone. Not at your level of loss. NW6 barely have any donor, add few thousand scars and that makes the donor bald but it’s scarred bald. 

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, Turkhair said:

Your scars aren’t going to be the same because a different surgeon will perform them. His surgeon was Zarev I believe and he does a homogenous full donor extraction which is unique to him and other doctors don’t follow the same plan. So your scars might actually look less obvious or maybe even worse. He also hasn’t shown his initial Norwood level. How a NW6 after extraction will look is NOT going to be the same as say how a NW3 will look despite having the exact same number of grafts extracted. 

I think you’re going on with too high hopes into a transplant and will leave disappointed. 

Once you’ve had work done on you, the path to shaving or buzzcuts is gone. Not at your level of loss. NW6 barely have any donor, add few thousand scars and that makes the donor bald but it’s scarred bald. 

Hairman22 has an upcoming surgery with Zarev but his previous surgeries were not with him. So the donor scarring in his thread is pretty representative. 

• Valued Contributor
21 hours ago, Jamie_Finndust said:

In case I don't like the outcome of my surgery (most likely due to lack of density - or not being able to find a hair style that I like), can it look ok to then just go with buzz cuts?

I'm currently Norwood 6 (40+ yeas old - have been balding for almost 20 years - no meds). Have been advised I need 6,000 grafts over two procedures. Im booked in for the first procedure focusing on the front and mid areas. Will get the second for the crown. as soon as advisable.

Will it look weird to buzz cut without getting the crown procedure done?

Thanks guys :)

If you have any doubts about keeping your hair and shaving it then I strongly recommend you reconsider having 6k punctuated wounds all over your scalp. Perhaps shave your head now and see how you like rocking that look. All the best.

16 hours ago, BaldV said:

Check this guy 

https://www.instagram.com/nemanjamilovic/

he had an ht on a NW6 area and then shaved it all off

This guy did the same

https://www.instagram.com/volkan_oezdemir/

@BaldV Thanks for posting. I don't have insta - if its not too much to ask, could you please post screenshots of the photos?

28 minutes ago, Jamie_Finndust said:

@BaldV Thanks for posting. I don't have insta - if its not too much to ask, could you please post screenshots of the photos?

@BaldV and others, these were the best photos I could find on those two people, and honestly, I cant see any scaring (Im assuming these were taken post surgery?). They look fine to me

I have similar skin and hair colour to these people

Volken

image.thumb.png.44b8dbb3c411f2a412112fd698f87adb.png

Menaja - Not really a good enough photo to tell if scaring is visible, and again, dont know if this was taken post surgery

image.png.0f854dc1485ded52a4432ff63e35d322.png

47 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

If you have any doubts about keeping your hair and shaving it then I strongly recommend you reconsider having 6k punctuated wounds all over your scalp. Perhaps shave your head now and see how you like rocking that look. All the best.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's comments. I shave my head currently. In my mind, HT is a risk with unknown outcomes. As impossible as this is, Im here to try and get a better understanding of likely outcomes and possible mitigation measures, in the advent that Im not not satisfied with the outcome. Thanks again everyone for your opinions, keep it coming :)

• Like 1

I would not just look at 2 photos as they can be misleading based on 1. lighting 2. angle 3. head shave recency.

I would browse their profiles and see various pictures, only then you know how it really looks

Also Ben Howedes and Andrew Tate have had an ht and then shaved their heads, you can check them as well.

If you dont have an instagram account you can still just google their names and search in photos.

• Thanks 1