rogaine after HT

I tell my patients that they can start using the Rogaine 5% 10-14 days after the procedure. I have heard some physicians tell patients that they can resume the Rogaine as soon as 5 days post-op. I think the important issue is that all irritation from the surgery should be gone before using Rogaine. This can take anywhere between 5-14 days.

So it is understandable that there is different instructions being given to patients by different doctors.

I noticed recently after my HT that there is no universal time to restart rogaine. I started after 10 days, and I echo Dr Charles about making sure your scalp is ready for it, and will not add to any irritation already present.

Also, I noticed after restarting rogaine after 10 days off and a HT, that it made my scalp quite dry. I used Emu oil, which really helped my scalp get back in to top condition.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

For the patients already on Rogaine before surgery, I ask them to discontinue use 5 days before the procedure. Rogaine is a vasodilator so it tends to increase bleeding during surgery. Regarding the post surgery use of Rogaine, it depends on which Rogaine you are using. The older Rogaine solution containing propylene glycol can be used sooner after the procedure; I used it on the day of myself without problems. The new Rogaine foam, however, I would recommend waiting 5 days since it is alcohol based and will cause stinging in the fresh wounds. While Rogaine is not as effective as Propecia, slowing or stopping progression in about 35%, and re-growing in only 10%. There is some synergism when Rogaine and propecia are used in combination, and it can be of benefit in preventing post-surgical shock loss.