Best age for HT?

Hi all, 

I am soon to be 22 years old. I had perfect hair up to 17 years old and then receded to a Norwood 2.5 before turning 18.

I have been on finasteride + oral minoxydil 1mg since I was 18. 

Have luckily had no side effects and am happy to continue the medication indefinitely. 

I don't think it is appropriate for me to get a HT yet, as the rest of my hair is thick and healthy, I just have a terrible hairline which means that I can't have many hairstyles and makes my forehead look massive. I know the rule of thumb is 25 years old, but how would you go about it in my case where I have already been on medication for so long, yet clearly have somewhat aggressive hairloss due to the early onset. 

It is hard to tell if it even is aggressive because while the hairline pushed back hard and fast, I don't know what would have happened after that. Have had zero regrowth from meds, lost maybe 5% density of frontal hairline in the four years. 

• Valued Contributor

@crista

There is no universal "perfect" time for this, it varies based on the given situation of a patient. 

For instance, in some situations, taking action early can be beneficial, while in others, waiting might be wiser. It all hinges on analyzing the circumstances, understanding the associated risks and potential rewards, and then making a decision that aligns with the specific scenario.

The ideal age for hair transplant surgery can vary from person to person and depends on individual factors. It's not a one-size-fits-all situation. Generally, candidates for hair transplant surgery should have a stable hair loss pattern, which often means waiting until they're in their late 20s or older. This allows doctors to better predict future hair loss patterns and plan accordingly.

However, there is no specific "exact right age" because factors like genetics, the extent of hair loss, and a person's surgery requirements for the particular time play significant roles in determining when the procedure is appropriate.

So imo there should be thoughtful consideration along with some ethical and experienced surgeon rather than adhering to fixed timeframes, and see what's best can be done.

I hope this helps you. Best of luck

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

There is no one size fits all

My own experience was of recession between 18-22 of the frontal corners to your typical ‘M’ NW 2-3 pattern too. It largely stayed as it was then until about 27ish.

I foolishly opted to stay off meds naively thinking this steady period would last. (This is my biggest regret). Around 27-31 it gradually crept into my midscalp and crown. Them areas are thin but there is still native hair. I wish I’d kept more of an eye on my hair during this period as you don’t tend to notice further losses day to day until it’s too late. I jumped on Finasteride at 31 which seems to again have halted the process for now.

A DHT blocker is essential so you’re doing the right thing in that respect. Your losses would have more than likely been a lot more significant if you hadn’t incorporated these into your regime.

Best advice I can give you is to wait as long as possible to pull the trigger. Given your age you need to be sure you have hair loss under control for a sustained period before any transplant.

You are approaching the subject very maturely and should be commended for that. Take regular pics in the same lighting so you can monitor your hair and note any further recession. 

Good Luck 

• Administrators

There is no best age, but 22 IMO is too young. I think late 20s is better because you’ll be more emotionally mature. If you can preserve what you have now, you’ll be able to plan better. The problem with getting a hair transplant so young, its impossible to know where you’ll end up. 

I remember I was 21 here

image.jpeg

I had no idea I would become a Norwood 6 in 7 years. My father isn’t bald, neither is my older brother. I would have made a HUGE mistake getting an HT back then. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.