Does SMP disguise transplant surgery aftermath?

I’m conscious that HT surgeries, where the scalp has been shaved, require at least a couple of weeks before the redness/rawness goes away.

Would there be any advantage in getting SMP in advance of the surgery to minimise the visual impact of the surgery and perhaps reduce your post-op indoor time?

I'm assuming you're getting a FUE hair transplant and it's your first transplant...If you go to a good clinic and everything goes perfectly post-transplant, then most of the visible signs that you had anything done go away within 10 days. There will be small circular scars on your donor area that will appear from the extraction process but they're too small for the ordinary person to spot. SMP is usually done to cover those very small scars on the donor. You'll have to wait until everything heals up first.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KSA91 said:

I'm assuming you're getting a FUE hair transplant and it's your first transplant...If you go to a good clinic and everything goes perfectly post-transplant, then most of the visible signs that you had anything done go away within 10 days. There will be small circular scars on your donor area that will appear from the extraction process but they're too small for the ordinary person to spot. SMP is usually done to cover those very small scars on the donor. You'll have to wait until everything heals up first.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it wouldn’t be my first transplant and the performed in the 80s and 90s have left me in a poor condition.

For any subsequent surgery, I’d would need my head shaved (which would be the first time ever) and I’m just concerned about the visual aspect afterwards. I feel that a prior SMP would give a better illusion of coverage while recovery and growth takes place.

Grateful for any views.

• Valued Contributor

The problem is that with scarring the SMP may migrate giving a blue/green appearance in that scarred area. However SMP can be a good underlay for a hair transplant. The real problem though before committing to any of these options is knowing how much coverage your hair transplant will be able to give you? You do not want SMP on a bald area if only your frontal third can be covered due to lack of donor. These are though excellent questions to ask when having a consultation with a surgeon. End of the day you really need to have an overall plan with the surgeon (everyone does) especially if you are Norwood 7 with a diminished donor. All the best.

• Thanks 1