Third day post-op, suffering from itchiness

Mortimer

Now today is the third day after the HT operation. No major problem, except that my doc told me to wear a tennis player headband and a kind of funny hat which doesn't touch the scalp. No big deal, but I look so funny with that hat that I was afraid that someone I know would see me because I need to make a huge explanation.

Anyhow, the big thing today is I feel extremely itchy on my scalp. I mean, it is getting more and more irresistable, and almost so bad that I imagine myself scratching them like hell. Is this normal to feel so itchy?

The only thing I did today was to go to a movie theatre with my hat on, and I felt like I sweated only a bit under that hat since the weather was very fine. Of course, I took it off while inside, but the itchiness increased afterwards.

Now today is the third day after the HT operation. No major problem, except that my doc told me to wear a tennis player headband and a kind of funny hat which doesn't touch the scalp. No big deal, but I look so funny with that hat that I was afraid that someone I know would see me because I need to make a huge explanation.

Anyhow, the big thing today is I feel extremely itchy on my scalp. I mean, it is getting more and more irresistable, and almost so bad that I imagine myself scratching them like hell. Is this normal to feel so itchy?

The only thing I did today was to go to a movie theatre with my hat on, and I felt like I sweated only a bit under that hat since the weather was very fine. Of course, I took it off while inside, but the itchiness increased afterwards.

What in the heck is the tennis headband for...to hide the donor area? After three days I wore a baseball cap. I just made sure that it wasn't tight against the donor area or the recipient area (with a little bit of adjusting it is possible!) I was therefore able to cover up both areas. Another piece of advice: remember the best lie is a simple one. Your story is starting stretch a little if you know what I mean. Throw in the fact that you're parading around town in a tennis headband and a goofy hat and it won't take long before people (including your wife) begin to ask questions. The itching is completely normal and will continue for several weeks. With regards to the donor area, at 3 months post op mine is still a little pink, and i also suffered some shock loss in the donor area which still hasn't grown back. Whatever you do, DO NOT CUT THE BACK OF YOUR HAIR SHORT, or you'll have a lot of explaining to do. When you do get your hair cut, I would definitely explain about the scar and tell him if it shows after he cuts your hair that you will not pay him for his work...lol

Good luck to you.

itchiness with me comes just about the time the scabs are ready to fall out. Yesterday was real itchy, so I massaged some scabs out (no bleeding, of course) and used an ice pack to soothe the itchy area.

The combo of the two things worked like a charm. That was 6 days post op, about time for scabs to dry out and get ready to fall off.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.