Rogaine Foam After HT

I'm just past 6 weeks post-op from an HT with Dr. Hasson. I've been on proscar 1.25mg 4 times a week for about 10 weeks.

Wanting to do all I can for growth I decide to start Rogaine foam 2 days ago on the recipient area and crown. The plan was to apply it just once a day but now I'm not sure I want to. The problems are the smell is not so great and also it leaves my hair looking and feeling a bit greasy.

Any thoughts on the benefits/risks to the recipient area and also if maybe the proscar might be enough by itself?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Phil,

Rogaine isn't necessary to help transplanted hair grow. Thus, unless you are trying to save or regrow lost natural hair, there's no real reason you have to use Rogaine.

Another suggestion I'd have is to use Rogaine foam once but only in the evening. Assuming you shower in the morning, you should have no styling or smell problems during the day.

I hope this helps.

Bill

At 6 weeks it shouldn't have any adverse effects and some doctors recommend its use post-op. I believe it's thought to help the transplant hair come in quicker.

Is the smell really that bad? I've read a few times over the years that some guys can't stand the smell, fair enough - it's not a scent I'd of chosen but it's never bothered me really. I've never been able to smell it on my scalp after applying.

Thanks guys. Maxxy the smell is a kind of chemical/alcohol smell and I can smell it for hours after an application. I guess it's not too bad though.

I've decided to stick with once a day for awhile and see how it works. The main reason is that I think if you grow back hair with a combo of minox and propecia it might be possible to later stop the minox and have the maintenance properties of propecia help keep the hair you gained with both drugs.

Originally posted by phil mascallpen:

I'm just past 6 weeks post-op from an HT with Dr. Hasson. I've been on proscar 1.25mg 4 times a week for about 10 weeks.

Wanting to do all I can for growth I decide to start Rogaine foam 2 days ago on the recipient area and crown. The plan was to apply it just once a day but now I'm not sure I want to. The problems are the smell is not so great and also it leaves my hair looking and feeling a bit greasy.

Any thoughts on the benefits/risks to the recipient area and also if maybe the proscar might be enough by itself?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I started using Rogaine foam a week ago. But I love it. I guess my nose doesn't work well because I haven't detected a smell at all.

But more than that, it goes on so easy and dries in minutes (sometimes seconds). Its anything but greasy for me. Liquid rogaine was horribly greasy, but the foam I have absolutely no complaints about.

Is it really greasy for you?