How long after a HT can Accutane (isotretinoin) be used? And what does it do to a HT?

Really want to move from topical tretinoin to Accutane to permanently get rid of my acne but I’ve read online that accutane must not be taken before skin re grafting or hair transplants. What’s the logic behind this and what’s a safe timeline?

• Valued Contributor

@singh

Isotretinoin has some side effects and some of them can have its effects on hair transplant so generally doctors advice to perform surgery 6 months after the discontinuation of the drug...though there can be a possibility of varying opinions on this and your doctor should be the only source of advice for you in such things...as he/she is the one who will be responsible for everything related to surgery 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

3 hours ago, singh said:

Really want to move from topical tretinoin to Accutane to permanently get rid of my acne but I’ve read online that accutane must not be taken before skin re grafting or hair transplants. What’s the logic behind this and what’s a safe timeline?

personally I have no clue, but this is the type of deeply technical question that only a trained medical professional can answer. 

You should ask both your dermatologist and your hair transplant doctor. Hopefully their answers are very similar so you can be confident in the explanation. 

If the dermatologist and HT doc both come back with very different answers, idk I guess reach out to even more MDs

Accutane is a very very very powerful medication and significantly impacts your skin. 

You may not like the answers you hear, but at the same time you may simply not be able to have it both ways. It may indeed be very risky to be on this super powerful skin medication and simultaneously get a surgery that is doing some heavy duty stuff to your scalp. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

3 hours ago, singh said:

Tretinoin is first generation retinoid, so it is the oldest one. Currently we have four generations. 

There is Adapalene - third generation retinoid that is less irritating then tretinoin and can be used safely with benzoyl peroxide. Tretinoin can't be used with benzoyl peroxide, because tretinoin is not so stable. 

You can buy Adapalene and benzoyl peroxide seperately or as a mix - this is called Epiduo. 

I was using tretinoin for half year, but it was to irritating for me and i  recently switched to  Adapalene + benzoyl peroxide. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Tretinoin is first generation retinoid, so it is the oldest one. Currently we have four generations. 

There is Adapalene - third generation retinoid that is less irritating then tretinoin and can be used safely with benzoyl peroxide. Tretinoin can't be used with benzoyl peroxide, because tretinoin is not so stable. 

You can buy Adapalene and benzoyl peroxide seperately or as a mix - this is called Epiduo. 

I was using tretinoin for half year, but it was to irritating for me and i  recently switched to  Adapalene + benzoyl peroxide. 

luckily for me tret 0.05% suits my skin and i can use it every night without irritation. i use a ton of my prescribed moisturizer from my derm. 

i do have genetic acne due to high androgens, so the only way for me to get rid of acne and not have to apply this everyday is by doing a course of accutane

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 12:05 AM, singh said:

luckily for me tret 0.05% suits my skin and i can use it every night without irritation. i use a ton of my prescribed moisturizer from my derm. 

i do have genetic acne due to high androgens, so the only way for me to get rid of acne and not have to apply this everyday is by doing a course of accutane

I am in the same situation as you. If you get any useful info on this please lmk!

On 8/19/2023 at 8:11 PM, singh said:

Is it true for topical tretinoine too?