I don't have MPB but I'm being told to take finesteride, should I take it or ask about oral minox post-op?

In my consultation, I went with a history of traction alopecia but no MPB. Doctor couldn't conclude MPB either, and have no family history of baldness either. But doctor didn't rule it out and suggests finesteride post-op to reduce chances of shock loss. I don't understand how fin would help strengthen my native hair in the affected area if MPB isn't conclusive, I don't feel comfortable taking fin if I don't even have MPB. Am I wrong? Because my hair hasn't changed a bit in the last 2 years of stopping the hairstyle that caused traction alopecia.

I'm wondering if I could take oral minox post-op and quit it. 

Edited by singh

• singh changed the title to I don't have MPB but I'm being told to take finesteride, should I take it or ask about oral minox post-op?

IMHO, you are not wrong…it would be a good idea however to get another in person exam to rule out MPB which would include a microscopic exam of your scalp and formal diagnosis to see whether or not you have MPB…if you do not have genetic hair loss, obviously there is no reason to take finasteride…and IMHO taking finasteride for the first time post-op may initiate an acute shed which would be counter-productive.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

37 minutes ago, singh said:

In my consultation, I went with a history of traction alopecia but no MPB. Doctor couldn't conclude MPB either, and have no family history of baldness either. But doctor didn't rule it out and suggests finesteride post-op to reduce chances of shock loss. I don't understand how fin would help strengthen my native hair in the affected area if MPB isn't conclusive, I don't feel comfortable taking fin if I don't even have MPB. Am I wrong? Because my hair hasn't changed a bit in the last 2 years of stopping the hairstyle that caused traction alopecia.

I'm wondering if I could take oral minox post-op and quit it. 

Do you want my honest opinion.

You seem to have a lot of anxiety surrounding your mild hairline recession. No one can promise you no shock loss or even guarantee results. You also seem to be fooling yourself into believing you will never have Androgenetic Alopecia. At 20 there is no way to predict the future of your hair genetics. IMO you are too young and not mature or stable enough psychologically to understand the risks benefits of the hair transplant you want. 

Sorry just being honest form the numerous thread you have made on this topic. you may not like it but i think people should be told the truth. 

• Like 1

If OP is indeed 20 (i dont have time atm to read OPs previous posts to confirm), then yes it is silly and impossible to be declared 'MPB-free' at such a young age. 

You easily could still be severely balding at 25... 

20 is a horrible age to predict MPB....

That all being said, sure it does make sense to start Fin now so you can avoid the fates of thw rest of us on here. Why not..

Edited by HappyMan2021

1 hour ago, shiba1985 said:

Do you want my honest opinion.

You seem to have a lot of anxiety surrounding your mild hairline recession. No one can promise you no shock loss or even guarantee results. You also seem to be fooling yourself into believing you will never have Androgenetic Alopecia. At 20 there is no way to predict the future of your hair genetics. IMO you are too young and not mature or stable enough psychologically to understand the risks benefits of the hair transplant you want. 

Sorry just being honest form the numerous thread you have made on this topic. you may not like it but i think people should be told the truth. 

I don't have anything against finesteride but I don't see a point taking it before I even need it. I know that years down the line it is possible that MPB starts, and in that case I'm okay with getting it. My dad was only NW2 till he was 45 but lost hair from covid.

You are right, I'm affected by my hair loss psychologically which is why I want to fix it and not think about my hair anymore. It is kind of depressing to be worrying about my hair at the age I'm supposed to live life. My apologies if my posts are annoying

Edited by singh

58 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

If OP is indeed 20 (i dont have time atm to read OPs previous posts to confirm), then yes it is silly and impossible to be declared 'MPB-free' at such a young age. 

You easily could still be severely balding at 25... 

20 is a horrible age to predict MPB....

That all being said, sure it does make sense to start Fin now so you can avoid the fates of thw rest of us on here. Why not..

That is my age. I agree, I plan on taking finesteride in the future when I actually have MPB, but I don't see the point starting it before it starts. Why mess with my hormones with no benefit? And I really want good hair in my youth. 

No one in my family has baldness, probably regular recession after the age of 40. So the chances of aggressive hairloss at 25 seems unlikely. 

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

IMHO, you are not wrong…it would be a good idea however to get another in person exam to rule out MPB which would include a microscopic exam of your scalp and formal diagnosis to see whether or not you have MPB…if you do not have genetic hair loss, obviously there is no reason to take finasteride…and IMHO taking finasteride for the first time post-op may initiate an acute shed which would be counter-productive.

I was told by the clinic that there is no way to do a test for MPB. Would it be a good idea to get the transplant, and keep living my life but get yearly check ups to see signs of MPB and get on finesteride if it is diagnosed? My family doesn't have a history of hair loss and I'm 100% sure I had traction alopecia because I had the early signs of inflammation and stopped my hairloss completely by changing my hair tying habits.

Edit: A year back I showed my scalp to a dermat and he ruled out MPB and said it's traction and he said it won't progress further. And he was right, I took pictures of my hair every now and then and in the 2 years I stopped tying my hair in a turban, my hair didn't deteriorate.  The earliest picture was taken in July 2022

Edited by singh

7 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@singh

Just keep a check of this and whenever in doubt you can go to a good doctor who has an experience with hairs to get yourself checked again 

Alright, I'm still texting the clinic my doubts about shock loss and the density i can expect post op to see if it's viable. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 8:13 PM, singh said:

I was told by the clinic that there is no way to do a test for MPB. Would it be a good idea to get the transplant, and keep living my life but get yearly check ups to see signs of MPB and get on finesteride if it is diagnosed? My family doesn't have a history of hair loss and I'm 100% sure I had traction alopecia because I had the early signs of inflammation and stopped my hairloss completely by changing my hair tying habits.

Edit: A year back I showed my scalp to a dermat and he ruled out MPB and said it's traction and he said it won't progress further. And he was right, I took pictures of my hair every now and then and in the 2 years I stopped tying my hair in a turban, my hair didn't deteriorate.  The earliest picture was taken in July 2022

There are in fact several ways to test for MPB and then arrive at a formal diagnosis…the good news is how you have progressed in a positive way and your journey to happiness my friend.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

26 minutes ago, gillenator said:

There are in fact several ways to test for MPB and then arrive at a formal diagnosis…the good news is how you have progressed in a positive way and your journey to happiness my friend.

Thank you! At first I was scared about the potential MPB diagnosis, then I remembered I documented my hair for 2 years already. Will show them to the surgeon for a follow up opintion!