Second hair transplant hairline density.

Good day and glad I found this site. Brief history I just had a second FUE procedure March 10, 2023 so its been roughly about 5 months. 

My first procedue I had about 1900 grafts put in my temple region and hairline. Def noticed great growth by month 5 but really got most around month 7 I would say. First procedure done back in July of 2019

Fast forward to present, I had another 2000 grafts put in to add more density, and to fill a little more around corners. I know pictures are usually posted and I will probably get around to that but my main question is: CAN SECOND PROCEDURES done in same area for added density TAKE LONGER to see growth? I feel as though at month 5 I feel like Im back to how I looked prior. I do feel as though I maybe had shock loss of native hairs since we were going over the same area and this procedure I did full shave for it  

Prior ive been on topical minoxidil 7.5% with .1% dutasteride and I only stopped it for the first 2 weeks after surgery during healing and went right back on it   I also do laser helmet 3-4x weekly with scalp massages  

Ive read what little info I could find that suggested second transplants CAN take longer to see growth because of scar tissue from previous surgery? My doctor also wanted to wait til month 7 for my assessment rather than month 6 and said it could be delayed   Of course patience is key but I am one who is of course stressing over it  I just dont see any stubble or short hairs in between any of my existing hair in the frontal region  

note; my scalp did seem to stay a little more red longer than first surgery.   slight Redness was seen up until 3.5 months before finally going away  

Has anyone had a second surgery that noticed slower growth? delayed an extra month? two months? 

Thank you for all your help

I'm only 3 weeks post second transplant and waiting for the shedding, so I don't have personal experience, though I have read others grew slower the second time around - perhaps because of scaring through the first procedure and slight compromise in blood flow in the area.

I wouldn't worry at all at this stage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I'm only 3 weeks post second transplant and waiting for the shedding, so I don't have personal experience, though I have read others grew slower the second time around - perhaps because of scaring through the first procedure and slight compromise in blood flow in the area.

I wouldn't worry at all at this stage.

Yeah. I keep telling myself that. The first one was obvious at 5 months back in 2019. I just had recessed temples and some thinning in hairline. Im also 46. Of course having dark hair i didnt like seeing scalp in light (and i know we can never achieve what we once had), but there were still areas in temples that werent as dense as they could be.  And 2000 grafts added to what you saw in pic one should definitely give extra density because I know my hair wasnt bad after the first. So I just feel like Im kinda back to where I was w maybe little noticed improvement but hoping more of the 2k grafts pop up and help thicken it up. Its just hard to tell in an area that just needed a little more. But yeah I was wondering it previous surgerys can add a month or two extra so maybe the growth will come montb 6-7 where as its 4-5 for many (when it starts).  Its easier said than done being patient. Even the second time!

Your hairline looks good to me - 2000 extra grafts should make a huge difference. I only had about 750 extra in my hairline to improve density.

I find I'm slightly less anxious this time, but then I'm still praying I'm part of the 5 percent that don't shed (this time) 😉

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

Thanks I am happy with the hair line. was before too. just wanted it stronger and more dense. Just seems like I havent noticed much yet and I dont even see stubble between the hair that is grown out now. Hopefully theres more to sprout. Tell anyone not to stress. lol. Doesnt get easier

8 minutes ago, Ry-77 said:

Thanks I am happy with the hair line. was before too. just wanted it stronger and more dense. Just seems like I havent noticed much yet and I dont even see stubble between the hair that is grown out now. Hopefully theres more to sprout. Tell anyone not to stress. lol. Doesnt get easier

If it helps, I can see extra growth on the hairline from your before image. Have you tried comparing outdoor pictures? That's where density will really make a difference.

As you say, people telling you not to worry doesn't help, though looking on the bright side, it's only 4-8 weeks before you'll know 😊

Yeah sometimes I think that. Of course yes all these are taken in my bathroom with bright white LED lighting.  I just dont feel 2k of the grafts is showing yet. So if by standard I am at 10/30% growth by month 5 we will see. I was just hoping a DR or someone who had touchup for density or repair would tell me “YES, growth can be delayed an extra month or two after a second surgery”. I guess I am just looking for re assurance. How selfish I know haha

• Valued Contributor

@Ry-77

I can understand your curiosity and why you wanna get reassurance and i hope all the comments can help you to easy out...

i would say Its a long waiting game my friend and don't worry you will see more growth as time pass by .....you have few more months in the bank for that ...i hope you are on medication which will help you with this ....best of luck ..Happy growing and keep updating ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

11 hours ago, Ry-77 said:

Thinking about this, did you use the same surgeon both times? While there's no real formula for it, it does seem some surgeons get earlier growth than others. It is probably mostly down to the amount of trauma on the scalp. 

I also had some shock loss when adding for density so there's always that possibility too. What's good is that it'll usually recover at 6 months too, so you saw some of that too, you'll be in for a bumper month 😃

Where did you go for your first and second op?

I also want to add density to a already good hairline. I had a fue hair transplant 7 years ago in turkey and im not 100% sure how much they took from the donor area i feel like they said 2500 but i was told by someone it looks like ive had 1000 grafts put in max as it was such a small area.

Did they not want to let you keep your hair and have it put in without shaving? Also did they say there was much risk in killing the hair cells around the hairline with the new hairs as they are so close ?

thanks

20 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Ry-77

I can understand your curiosity and why you wanna get reassurance and i hope all the comments can help you to easy out...

i would say Its a long waiting game my friend and don't worry you will see more growth as time pass by .....you have few more months in the bank for that ...i hope you are on medication which will help you with this ....best of luck ..Happy growing and keep updating ...

Thank you for your input. Its just off putting when everyone says be patient but theres people who say one should have 30% result by month 5. 

I am curious. when i part my hairs all hair is the same length. No short hairs, no stubble. I have black course hair. Wouldnt there be stubble when new hairs pop up? I hear you cannot see new hairs as theyre thin and almost naked ro the eye until they mature? Its so hard because I got 2100 grafts put in in a area that already had hair. To me, I look the same as I did before I had surgery. 

I am really hoping that YES I may be a month or two delayed because this is my second procedure in the same area.  I have my check up at 7 months out so I guess cannot do anything but wait til then and try to stop looking every day because as much as this process takes time, it isnt easier for sure

17 hours ago, Leadley said:

Where did you go for your first and second op?

I also want to add density to a already good hairline. I had a fue hair transplant 7 years ago in turkey and im not 100% sure how much they took from the donor area i feel like they said 2500 but i was told by someone it looks like ive had 1000 grafts put in max as it was such a small area.

Did they not want to let you keep your hair and have it put in without shaving? Also did they say there was much risk in killing the hair cells around the hairline with the new hairs as they are so close ?

thanks

Got it done here in the PNW in WA state. The first procedure I didnt have to shave receipient area but this time they required it because they were going in the same area and working in between the other implanted hairs. They didnt say killing existing hair was an issue and that adding density was fine. 

19 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

Thinking about this, did you use the same surgeon both times? While there's no real formula for it, it does seem some surgeons get earlier growth than others. It is probably mostly down to the amount of trauma on the scalp. 

I also had some shock loss when adding for density so there's always that possibility too. What's good is that it'll usually recover at 6 months too, so you saw some of that too, you'll be in for a bumper month 😃

Yep same surgeon both times. My scalp did stay slightly red up until month 3, so maybe the timing starts once inflammatory issue goes down? I dont know.  I do feel like I had lost some of my existing hair but seems like im back to where I was prior to surgery.  Actually it was 2100 grafts. Not sure what to look for on tje scalp. Stubble? I keep hearing its colorless thin almost invisible hairs to start? I have asian hair so its course and black. Really depressing parting my hair and seeing just smooth scalp in between where more hair should or could be coming in

• Valued Contributor

@Ry-77yeh in normal cases around 30% result is seen and there are stubbles but sometimes there are slow growers as well and that can be you and you can't do anything other thn waiting at this stage...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023