Hair looking frizzy and wispy - any styling tips?

36 minutes ago, MaximusEastwood said:

my hair is looking pretty frizzy and wispy right now. it also continually sticks up

if it is significantly frizzy/wispy, it could be badly angled/a botched result. In this case it will be permanent. 

If it is just a pretty minor issue, perhaps it will get relax and tame itself in a few months. 

But keep in mind when people say frizzy/kinky hair gets better with time, these are just very subtle changes. 

If your hair is massively crazy or kinky, it will likely not get better as again any changes in hair texture are just going to be subtle. 

From your picture I'd say this is a significant texture or angling issue, its not a minor thing. Hope I'm wrong though. 

11 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

if it is significantly frizzy/wispy, it could be badly angled/a botched result. In this case it will be permanent. 

If it is just a pretty minor issue, perhaps it will get relax and tame itself in a few months. 

But keep in mind when people say frizzy/kinky hair gets better with time, these are just very subtle changes. 

If your hair is massively crazy or kinky, it will likely not get better as again any changes in hair texture are just going to be subtle. 

From your picture I'd say this is a significant texture or angling issue, its not a minor thing. Hope I'm wrong though. 

Oh no….do you think it’s worth reaching out to the clinic about it? Or just wait? 

1 hour ago, MaximusEastwood said:

Oh no….do you think it’s worth reaching out to the clinic about it? Or just wait? 

The operating clinic will never admit a botched result to a patient. I think it doesnt hurt to reach out, but regard their feedback very objectively/critically

For truly honest feedback you should get a 2nd opinion from a different clinic

If your entire transplant hair was just like subtly frizzy, then I would say you should wait and see as it very well may correct itself

But....the fact you say (in your main thread) that there is a very specific region on the right side that looks unnatural and sticks straight up, to me that does indicate bad angles. 

Bad angles do not autocorrect with time. If this is indeed bad angles and you wish to get it fixed, it will require a repair surgery

In the meantime, styling options are:

1) Trim the right side hair before it gets to the bad angle length. This may entail an overall short haired or buzz cut look

2) Use gel or another styling product to 'force' the hair into a style you want

3) Let the badly angled hair grow out. While it definitely will still be technically flawed and perhaps still look aesthetically flawed, longer hair really can lessen the stubbornness of bad grafts. Long hair will make the bad grafts more malleable, etc.

In addition to what the colleagues mentioned, did you have beard hair or body hair transplanted? If you did, that hair will have a different texture than scalp hair. It's mostly used in the mid-scalp and crown for density. 

But if most of everything is growing quite unlike your native hair used to grow, then it may be bad angles. It's still quite early, you are at about the halfway point so it may smooth out. Don't drive yourself crazy, but keep it in mind. 

• Valued Contributor

It's still very early days but you could go either short with your hair or longer. If you go longer you can use styling products and keep the sides short and grow the top long. Comb your hair back and use a holding spray. This is what I am currently doing and I think it's the best look for me with the amount of beard hair, etc in my recipient area. I use hair wax or a strong hair cream and just wash it out at the end of the day. All the best @MaximusEastwood. 👌

Hi,

I have the same problem of curly hair after FUT that doesn't have the same texture because the back has a different texture. But it gets better with time and indeed the more the cutting / growth cycles advance and the more they straighten. You will see in the photos of my transplant that 6 months ago they were much curlier than today at 1 year post transplant 🙂

FUT 6500 hairs in France - Paul Benet (Paris) - Update at 1 year

Edited by EricLaurent

At 6 months the hair is still developing. Frizzy hair isn’t unusual at that stage so don’t worry too much. It’s still yet to mature

I’m at 10 months and until very recently mine would frizz after a few hours. Weirdly calmed down almost overnight and now blends perfectly at all times with my native hair.

I found that harsher products like moulding clay helped stopped the frizz but these are quite harsh so best to check with your Dr before using them

Edited by ScottishGuy21