Oral Dutasteride

Hi All,

Anybody in here taking Oral Dut?
I’ve made a start last week, taking 2 a week, Monday & Tuesday after watching the podcast with Melvin & Sergio Vanó. Wondered if 2 0.5 tabs a week will be beneficial or should I up it to 3? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Big Romethan i think 3 tabs per week would be better though some doctor's advice would be better...

yeah Pinto said 3 x a week, MWF to be fair. Then I saw the podcast with @Melvin- Moderator & DR Sergio Vanò where he said the patients get good results and no sides so I opted to start there with never touching medication before but your right, 3 x a week would probably be more beneficial 

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, Big Rome said:

yeah Pinto said 3 x a week, MWF to be fair. Then I saw the podcast with @Melvin- Moderator & DR Sergio Vanò where he said the patients get good results and no sides so I opted to start there with never touching medication before but your right, 3 x a week would probably be more beneficial 

Yeh brother...even i was considering it but as of now finasteride is working fine so i thought i should not take it as of now...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

I take 0.5mg Avodart daily.

If you're only going to take it twice a week without taking another 5ar inhibitor like Fin, then wouldn't it make more sense to spread the tablet across the week. So e.g take it Monday and Thursday or Friday?

Edited by Viney
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Viney said:

I take 0.5mg Avodart daily.

If you're only going to take it twice a week without taking another 5ar inhibitor like Fin, then wouldn't it make more sense to spread the tablet across the week. So e.g take it Monday and Thursday or Friday?

this was my thinking initially, I was going to take it Monday & Thursday but the podcast made me change my mind. Might try Monday and Thursday next week, no sides so far 

@Big Rome,

I haven’t seen the video clip you are referring to but in my opinion, you should always consult a doctor before using ant prescription medication and exactly what quantity of it you should be using. Also, did you already try finasteride and it wasn’t effective or are you jumping right to dutasteride?

In my opinion, speak to a doctor first before trying either medication. But I also think it’s a good idea to try finasteride first before trying dutasteride.  And only if you try finasteride for a year or more proves to br ineffective, should you consider trying dutasteride.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I think when it comes to hair loss you don’t have tons of time to sit around and wait… I wish I would have gotten on Dutasteride right from the beginning. I took finasteride beginning at age 24 and it slowed loss in the front but never stopped it. I continued to slowly lose ground over the last decade. I am now 35 and have been on oral Dutasteride almost 2 years and it has stopped shedding. Everybody worries about side effects but I have had none… and I’m on a heavy dose. I take 2.5mg oral Dutasteride daily…. Thats right I pop 5 of the .5mg pills a day… it might seem excessive but studies show the 2.5mg was significantly more effective in hair count so I know I am giving myself the best chance of keeping hair before it’s too late. Just my opinion but obviously consult with your doctor. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

9 hours ago, jfally said:

I started it EOD and after 4 months or so moved to daily. 

No sides. 

Paired with 5mg Oral Min daily it’s a super effective combo in my experience. 

thank you sir 👊🏼

6 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Big Rome,

I haven’t seen the video clip you are referring to but in my opinion, you should always consult a doctor before using ant prescription medication and exactly what quantity of it you should be using. Also, did you already try finasteride and it wasn’t effective or are you jumping right to dutasteride?

In my opinion, speak to a doctor first before trying either medication. But I also think it’s a good idea to try finasteride first before trying dutasteride.  And only if you try finasteride for a year or more proves to br ineffective, should you consider trying dutasteride.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

thank you brother, never been on meds before and never tried Finasteride just jump straight to dutasteride at the surgeons recommendation, thank you for your valued feedback 💙

5 hours ago, Recession1 said:

I think when it comes to hair loss you don’t have tons of time to sit around and wait… I wish I would have gotten on Dutasteride right from the beginning. I took finasteride beginning at age 24 and it slowed loss in the front but never stopped it. I continued to slowly lose ground over the last decade. I am now 35 and have been on oral Dutasteride almost 2 years and it has stopped shedding. Everybody worries about side effects but I have had none… and I’m on a heavy dose. I take 2.5mg oral Dutasteride daily…. Thats right I pop 5 of the .5mg pills a day… it might seem excessive but studies show the 2.5mg was significantly more effective in hair count so I know I am giving myself the best chance of keeping hair before it’s too late. Just my opinion but obviously consult with your doctor. 

that’s a super high dose! Lol 

Really glad it’s working for you though with no sides! 

I don’t have any sides so far, maybe a bit of bloating and gas but that could be the fact I eat like a pig 🤣

49 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

I don’t have any sides so far, maybe a bit of bloating and gas but that could be the fact I eat like a pig 🤣

Can't say I've had that side effect before 😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Big Rome said:

Hi All,

Anybody in here taking Oral Dut?
I’ve made a start last week, taking 2 a week, Monday & Tuesday after watching the podcast with Melvin & Sergio Vanó. Wondered if 2 0.5 tabs a week will be beneficial or should I up it to 3? 

I was on finasteride for 18 months without significant results. Added 0.5 mg dutasteride a week for 6 weeks, and have been on 0.5 dut twice a week (Sunday & Wednesday) and 1 mg finasteride five times a week for 1 month now. 

Fortunately no side effects so far, but my hair fall hasn't stopped yet 🥲

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Recession1 said:

Demn! What grade were you when you started dutasteride, and how long did it take to stabilize you hair loss? 

As much as I am inclined towards it, I don't wanna even wanna try 0.5 mg dutasteride daily (currently I'm on dut 2x a week and finasteride 5x a week), since I'm only 25! 

If anything, I may slowly build up to a higher dut dosage over the next 12 months if my hairfall doesn't stabilize on the current dosage

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Demn! What grade were you when you started dutasteride, and how long did it take to stabilize you hair loss? 

As much as I am inclined towards it, I don't wanna even wanna try 0.5 mg dutasteride daily (currently I'm on dut 2x a week and finasteride 5x a week), since I'm only 25! 

If anything, I may slowly build up to a higher dut dosage over the next 12 months if my hairfall doesn't stabilize on the current dosage

Slowly building up is a good idea...

• Like 3

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

6 hours ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

I was on finasteride for 18 months without significant results. Added 0.5 mg dutasteride a week for 6 weeks, and have been on 0.5 dut twice a week (Sunday & Wednesday) and 1 mg finasteride five times a week for 1 month now. 

Fortunately no side effects so far, but my hair fall hasn't stopped yet 🥲

can’t you up it to dutasteride daily and drop the fin? 

16 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

can’t you up it to dutasteride daily and drop the fin? 

I can, but I want to tread cautiously. One doc advised me to start with 0.5 mg dutasteride just once a week (cuz I am 25) while another doc recommended twice a week. Besides, I have read/heard that several poor responders to finasteride benefited from this 5+2 combo, so I wanna give that a try. If this doesn't work, I will try and up the dut dosage gradually

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

I can, but I want to tread cautiously. One doc advised me to start with 0.5 mg dutasteride just once a week (cuz I am 25) while another doc recommended twice a week. Besides, I have read/heard that several poor responders to finasteride benefited from this 5+2 combo, so I wanna give that a try. If this doesn't work, I will try and up the dut dosage gradually

ah yeah, fair enough bro, good shout listen to your doctor, I hope it gives you the change you wish for  💙

• Like 1