Booked HLC Ankara in december

Right now, I am at HLC Ankara Hotel in Ankara after having my consultation. I must admit I feel very comfortable proceeding with my surgery here in December, and it's already booked. The whole setup seems incredibly convenient, with the clinic, hotel, and restaurant all in the same building. From the moment I was picked up at the airport and led straight to lunch, they have taken excellent care of me.

During the consultation, it was decided that I will receive between 3200-3400 grafts over two days in December. I have also considered taking hair loss medication, and based on the doctor's recommendation, I am contemplating starting with finasteride. However, I experienced some side effects when I tried increasing the dosage to daily, so now I'm a bit unsure whether to continue on that route.

Regarding the outcome of the surgery, I desire a conservative hairline that gives me a natural and full look. I don't want the hairline to be lowered to appear younger; instead, I want to restore a fuller head of hair. I have also decided to postpone addressing the crown until another occasion due to having a relatively "weak" donor area.

I am looking forward to the surgery in December and I'm excited to see the results. The feeling of being in good hands here at HLC Ankara gives me confidence. Any tips or advice from others on what I should consider before the day?

IMG_8152.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

IMG_8150.JPG

Edited by Donditot

11 hours ago, BaldV said:

post some donor pics please

My donors are weak as you can see, and they also said the same thing. Can get a maximum of 3800 grafts.

9 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Donditothlc is a good clinic...plz post some do or pics...and did they advice you to be on medication ?

They did advise me to either go for Finasteride or minoxidil/oral or topical.

I know I probably should do that. Just not 100% sure yet. Really not wanting side effects. It´s a tough call.

However, really looking forward to getting this surgery done now. It´s been a very rough year, losing lots of hair, because of starting meds and stopping. The worst thing you probably could do to your hair.

IMG_8159.JPG

IMG_8160.JPG

• Valued Contributor

@DonditotFrom this picture of your donor (though pics can be deceiving ) it seems you are not a good candidate for HT ...sorry for my words but i don't know how HLC accepted you case and how they gonna perform on you...your donor looks very sparse and scattered 

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

You have a lot of hair that is miniaturised. Those can be saved if you hop on a DHT blocker (finasteride or dutasteride) and strengthened by minoxidil too. My advice would be to get on finasteride (and minox) and re-evaluate your situation in some months' time. If you do that then you can then probably get a HT with good results (ideally it would be best to wait around 12 months for finasteride to work its miracles). If you go for a HT without being on medication I am afraid the result will not be satisfying; it is no wonder most of the reputable HT doctors require their patients to be on fin/dut for some months before they can even be considered eligible for HT. I am surprised HLC did not ask you that.

Patience is key in this game: if you can get on medication, wait a bit and then have your HT you could see great results at the end of this process. If you rush to have a HT without medication I am afraid you are going to regret both the money spent, and, most crucially, the result you will get. Remember, having a HT without yet being a good candidate for it can simply be a waste both of your money and of your remaining hair in your donor, which, if strengthened with meds, could be of far better use. Realising this and the patience needed is really the heart of it imo.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 9:04 AM, A_4_Archan said:

@DonditotFrom this picture of your donor (though pics can be deceiving ) it seems you are not a good candidate for HT ...sorry for my words but i don't know how HLC accepted you case and how they gonna perform on you...your donor looks very sparse and scattered 

I know my donors are not good, and this is also worrying for me as I don´t know what to do. I just don´t want to be bald.

15 hours ago, Stoner said:

You have a lot of hair that is miniaturised. Those can be saved if you hop on a DHT blocker (finasteride or dutasteride) and strengthened by minoxidil too. My advice would be to get on finasteride (and minox) and re-evaluate your situation in some months' time. If you do that then you can then probably get a HT with good results (ideally it would be best to wait around 12 months for finasteride to work its miracles). If you go for a HT without being on medication I am afraid the result will not be satisfying; it is no wonder most of the reputable HT doctors require their patients to be on fin/dut for some months before they can even be considered eligible for HT. I am surprised HLC did not ask you that.

Patience is key in this game: if you can get on medication, wait a bit and then have your HT you could see great results at the end of this process. If you rush to have a HT without medication I am afraid you are going to regret both the money spent, and, most crucially, the result you will get. Remember, having a HT without yet being a good candidate for it can simply be a waste both of your money and of your remaining hair in your donor, which, if strengthened with meds, could be of far better use. Realising this and the patience needed is really the heart of it imo.

Thank you for your message, I agree with you and I know my hair is miniaturized, but let´s say I start with Fin or minoxidil, probably topical, and after 12 months, how is that gonna help my donors, and one day I stopped with the med? Will my donor's hair weaken again?  I am really just desperate at this point, and as I said, I know my donors aren't the best, but worst case scenario I could have 3-4 cm, with SMP. That´s at least what I am thinking, and I know this is a desperate act, but..I´m lost at this point. 😑

• Valued Contributor
44 minutes ago, Donditot said:

I know my donors are not good, and this is also worrying for me as I don´t know what to do. I just don´t want to be bald.

I can understand your concern but i would ask you to take a 2nd opinion of one more surgeon...i don't want you to fall from a frying pan into the fire...i am not frightening you my friend but looking at this pic it really seems like you are nt a candidate ...

--> My Thread

5 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

I can understand your concern but i would ask you to take a 2nd opinion of one more surgeon...i don't want you to fall from a frying pan into the fire...i am not frightening you my friend but looking at this pic it really seems like you are nt a candidate ...

I appreciate the honesty, thought the thing is, HLC actually told me the first time over Whatsapp by looking at photos that my donors were not good and that they didn't want to do the surgery.  Then I went to a Norwegian clinic, and they examined my donors and said they look ok, not great but ok. I reached out to HLC again and told them this, and they said to come to the clinic and we shall see. I did, and once I arrived and they did check he did say, they are not the best, but we can do this. However, he also said I should consider meds as I will have progressive hair loss. I know for a fact that my donors aren't the best, I can see it and it´s clear. My concern is what will it look like if I do this, now it´s even harder to accept this than before. I can live with having a nice hairline, and some donors on my head along with SMP, but as it seems from you guys, maybe thats not even gonna happen with my donors. Are there any examples like mine on this site so I can see how bad it´s gone or can go?

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Donditot said:

I appreciate the honesty, thought the thing is, HLC actually told me the first time over Whatsapp by looking at photos that my donors were not good and that they didn't want to do the surgery.  Then I went to a Norwegian clinic, and they examined my donors and said they look ok, not great but ok. I reached out to HLC again and told them this, and they said to come to the clinic and we shall see. I did, and once I arrived and they did check he did say, they are not the best, but we can do this. However, he also said I should consider meds as I will have progressive hair loss. I know for a fact that my donors aren't the best, I can see it and it´s clear. My concern is what will it look like if I do this, now it´s even harder to accept this than before. I can live with having a nice hairline, and some donors on my head along with SMP, but as it seems from you guys, maybe thats not even gonna happen with my donors. Are there any examples like mine on this site so I can see how bad it´s gone or can go?

I would even if you wanna go for it just get on to medication and see how you respond to it and if your body can tolerate it or not...in your case medication will play an important role..it can also make your donor healthy ..so do this first and than after few months reassess your situation ....and than take your decision ...

--> My Thread

1 hour ago, A_4_Archan said:

I would even if you wanna go for it just get on to medication and see how you respond to it and if your body can tolerate it or not...in your case medication will play an important role..it can also make your donor healthy ..so do this first and than after few months reassess your situation ....and than take your decision ...

Unfortunately, I am still afraid of going down the finasteride route. I am not sure if it was the meds the last time that gave me depression or the fact that I start losing my hair. Just the depression was so severe and scary. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Take the clinic’s advise and continue with Finasteride at the dose you can take and oral minoxidil but give your donor 12 months to see how it responds.  Postpone the surgery. Your hair may even grown back a little if you are lucky. You don’t want to be looking back in two years and regret not doing this now. A hair mill would just tell you what you want to hear and take your money. This is coming from someone who has been through this. Learn from my mistakes scar free. Plus it will cost you nothing. All the best.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Donditot said:

Unfortunately, I am still afraid of going down the finasteride route. I am not sure if it was the meds the last time that gave me depression or the fact that I start losing my hair. Just the depression was so severe and scary. 

I can understand why you wouldn't want to try it again if it caused you mental health issues.

Without finesteride (or dutasteride) your hair loss will probably continue. 

The question you have got to consider is what will you do if you have a transplant, exhaust your donor and then your loss continues where you've not had grafts - in the midscalp and crown? Are you willing to risk an unnatural hair loss pattern?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Take the clinic’s advise and continue with Finasteride at the dose you can take and oral minoxidil but give your donor 12 months to see how it responds.  Postpone the surgery. Your hair may even grown back a little if you are lucky. You don’t want to be looking back in two years and regret not doing this now. A hair mill would just tell you what you want to hear and take your money. This is coming from someone who has been through this. Learn from my mistakes scar free. Plus it will cost you nothing. All the best.  

Thank you for sharing your advice and personal experience regarding my situation.

Your suggestions along with other friends on this platform have given me valuable insights into my options. I also understand the importance of avoiding hasty decisions and being cautious about hair mills. It's reassuring to hear from someone who has gone through a similar experience and learned from it. I am stuck between going another round with finasteride or topical ( just damn hard to get the topical to Norway, way too strict) Wish I had the balls (pun intended) to just go for another round of the meds. I have them in front of me, yet so far away🫡

Thanks again for your encouragement🙂.

36 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I can understand why you wouldn't want to try it again if it caused you mental health issues.

Without finesteride (or dutasteride) your hair loss will probably continue. 

The question you have got to consider is what will you do if you have a transplant, exhaust your donor and then your loss continues where you've not had grafts - in the midscalp and crown? Are you willing to risk an unnatural hair loss pattern?

You raise a valid point about the potential consequences of hair loss treatments and transplants. My priority is to avoid any adverse effects and achieve the most natural-looking results, if possible, but I do understand that this is not the case, without meds. I was thinking worst case scenario, I could cut my hair short to about 3-4 cm, as long as I have a nice hairline, and the rest could be my native hair, yes with some thinning but smp along with it. Maybe it´s just wishful thinking.  Or maybe I will just say f...it and let me go bald, cause I am getting so tired of this whole hair loss situation. The problem started when I was on and off topical minoxidil..sadly

• 5 weeks later...

Based on the pictures you have provided your are not a good candidate for a hairtransplant, your donor area looks really thinned out. If you fo for an fue with 3-4000 grafts ithink you will transfer the problem on the back of yor head. Have you ever think about shaving your head to see how it looks?

You might be surprised that a shaved look fits you and this might save you from a bad hair transplant.

Another option for you is trying to experiment with a hairpiece.

Edited by jjalay