Is oral minoxidil causing my hair to be frizzier?

TheDarkHour

I started using oral minoxidil around the middle of March and have noticed that my hair has become a lot more frizzier than usual since then. It was especially bad this week where it looked so bad that even other people commented on it. Is this normal? I didn't even shed on the drug and have never shedded on the topical version. Is this OM getting rid of the weaker follicles? I think it's too late for me to be shedding now. I also doubt its a shed since my hair's been a frizzy mess for the past 5 months.

My hair is naturally quite frizzy but I didn't ever think it would turn out this bad. Is there anything I can do to reduce the frizz? I've tried blow drying, using soft towers, leave-in conditioner, anti-frizz products, coconut oil and serums but nothing works. 

18 minutes ago, contrast421 said:

I have been using oral min but never experienced it. Maybe your hair is still on the thinning phase. Don't you use finasteride? 

No, I don't use finasteride since I experienced side effects from it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 7:49 AM, TheDarkHour said:

Looking and feeling dry. It's all over.

One of the best thing I’ve ever done for my hair which has always been curly and slightly frizzy or wavy was to start washing my hair less and with soft water. Hard water makes a frizzy mess of hair pretty much especially if you’re using multiple products for texture or hold or leave in conditioner or whatever. 

19 hours ago, Jayson1361 said:

One of the best thing I’ve ever done for my hair which has always been curly and slightly frizzy or wavy was to start washing my hair less and with soft water. Hard water makes a frizzy mess of hair pretty much especially if you’re using multiple products for texture or hold or leave in conditioner or whatever. 

What exactly is "soft water"? Reducing the water pressure from the shower head?

18 minutes ago, TheDarkHour said:

What exactly is "soft water"? Reducing the water pressure from the shower head?

Soft water is water that has reduced minerals in it, hopefully dramatically reduced… usually achieved through an ion exchange with sodium charged resin beads in a tank. The reduced minerals exchanged for sodium creates a water that dramatically reduces the amount of minerals that build up on the hair or scalp which usually cause irritation, itchiness and drying. Soft water is significantly better for your hair and scalp and helps hair retain more moisture. The effect is immediate with good soft water vs hard water in my experience. If you wash your hair with soft water even once, you’ll be like yeah that dude was right. 

Edit: If your hair is dry..I’ve said it before in these forums try some Living Proof 5-1 before blow drying it’ll help smooth it out. I’m curious to, have you thought that some of the dry frizzy hair could be regrowth of terminal hairs just weaker because the follicles were dormant due to taking oral Min? It’s possible🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jayson1361
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 6:29 AM, Jayson1361 said:

Soft water is water that has reduced minerals in it, hopefully dramatically reduced… usually achieved through an ion exchange with sodium charged resin beads in a tank. The reduced minerals exchanged for sodium creates a water that dramatically reduces the amount of minerals that build up on the hair or scalp which usually cause irritation, itchiness and drying. Soft water is significantly better for your hair and scalp and helps hair retain more moisture. The effect is immediate with good soft water vs hard water in my experience. If you wash your hair with soft water even once, you’ll be like yeah that dude was right. 

Edit: If your hair is dry..I’ve said it before in these forums try some Living Proof 5-1 before blow drying it’ll help smooth it out. I’m curious to, have you thought that some of the dry frizzy hair could be regrowth of terminal hairs just weaker because the follicles were dormant due to taking oral Min? It’s possible🤷‍♂️

How do you get soft water ?

2 hours ago, Smacias15 said:

How do you get soft water ?

Well, you buy a water softener and install it at the water supply for your home. Or, you can buy an on the go water softener and install it on a faucet at your apartment or condo, or the main water supply for your apartment or condo if you have access to it.