Price estimation for problem area

Hi. 

I've been lurking for a while and noticed that price is a sensitive issue. I've always wanted a better hairline and now that my hair has thinned noticeably it's time to make the jump.

My problem area is relatively small, but I want the hair to be pretty thick. My budget is about £5000. Is fixing this possible for that price without a big risk? What sum would you estimate this job at? A lot of people have had great success with cheap transplants, but I've seen people criticized for going to "mills" as they can turn out poorly. What's your advice?

The "good light" photo looks better than it is, when looking in the mirror from a normal conversational distance the thinning is obvious and it bothers me. I also find it difficult to style my hair due to the hairline and it looks a lot dumber from other angles.

I have the same hairline as my dad, but it doesn't seem like he has thinned much, but hair has always been pretty thin even in its prime. 

image.png.efc749b84ca09f23d053c119c91a62cf.png

Edited by BaldAndBold

3 hours ago, BaldAndBold said:

My problem area is relatively small

you are firmly a NW3. if you aren't stable you could easily slip into NW4. I'd say your hair restoration needs are solidly "average". 

Also your hairline mockup design is flawed. Rounded, non-blunt corners are for women hairlines. You will want something that has a more blunt, pronounced corners in the design. 

• Valued Contributor

I'm sure you didn't intend the "mockup" to be exact, but just to be clear... Any Dr that proposes that weird hairline design on you should be lined up in front of a firing squad.

You'll probably need somewhere in the region of 2-3000 grafts depending on where you place the hairline. A more conservative approach is always wise. How much it costs depends where you go. There's a very small number of good clinics in Turkey for which £5000 would be enough. There's Eugenix in India or there's some of the better European options in the 3EUR per graft range (which will still put you over budget).

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

That hairline drawn is a female hairline. After the 5k how are you going to pay for the next surgery as MPB is progressive? You need a life long plan over your lifespan to get the right right results. Are you taking a 5ari and/or minoxidil? If you can stabilize your hair loss you will be in a much better position going into surgery which you will be looking at for the rest of your life in the mirror. I don't mean to sound harsh and I apologize if I do. I just don't want to see you butchered. Take your time and ask loads of questions here. All the best! 👍

14 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

you are firmly a NW3. if you aren't stable you could easily slip into NW4. I'd say your hair restoration needs are solidly "average". 

Also your hairline mockup design is flawed. Rounded, non-blunt corners are for women hairlines. You will want something that has a more blunt, pronounced corners in the design. 

My hairline hasn't receded. Just the hair that has gotten much thinner in the center part. It's been the same for at least 6 months so that suggests to me it has stabilized? Or am I wrong?

The hairline mockup was just to illustrate the problem area, I would discuss the actual hairline with a doctor first.

I'm 29. I'm not using any meds. I would prefer not to make any meds part of my daily routine. How do I know for sure that the thinning has stabilized?

Edited by BaldAndBold

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, BaldAndBold said:

It's been the same for at least 6 months so that suggests to me it has stabilized?

Absolutely not. 6 months is no time at all and if you’re not taking finasteride then there’s a greater risk that things will continue to progress. 

Don’t get me wrong… it’s not the end of the world if your hairloss continues. But just be aware that you’ll be committing to chasing it down with more HT’s in the future. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BaldAndBold said:

I'm 29. I'm not using any meds. I would prefer not to make any meds part of my daily routine. How do I know for sure that the thinning has stabilized?

I would not recommend a HT without meds.

Given you already have significant hairloss and 29 is still pretty young, without meds you are likely to have even more hairloss. 

And who knows when it will end? Maybe you are naturally destined for an advanced balding pattern. 

Without meds, you are setting yourself up for multiple HTs down the road. 

Also please consider than even for patients who are on meds and have relatively small hairloss, the vast majority of patients need 2 or more procedures to be happy. 

Nothing about hair transplants should be considered a quick or easy fix. 

Edited by HappyMan2021