How to evaluate my donor area?

A clinic I trust told me that I am not a good candidate for a hair transplant since my donor area is thin.
My donor area has been the same since I was young.
My father has norwood 7.

I'm using topical minoxidil and oral finasteride for a few years.
I believe the hair loss keeps going, but very slowly, thanks to the medications.

I am norwood 2-3.

What should I do?

image.thumb.jpeg.98cb9dedf39ee7080f04f7277852f6fc.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

If you must have hair then you need to have consultations with surgeons who turn out great results in high volume on patients like yourself with the same goals as yours. Have a look at the forums recommended list. The fact you are on meds gives you a big head start. All the best. 

Your donor will be almost impossible to evaluate at this length and without knowing your age. 

The best option is probably just go to a trustworth surgeon and get evaluated. 

The other, less good option is to grow your hair out and look for signs of retrograde or diffuse thinning.  

What length is best to evaluate donor from? Shorter, you see the individual follicles better. Longer, you see how it may look when actually grown out.

My donor looks quite bad when short but seems better when long, so not sure how to think of this either.

Long1.jpeg

Short1.jpeg

TBH, your hair looks similar to mine, but maybe a little finer.  I think you gotta think about what kind of haircut you want in the future, and consider your age. 

Do you want to keep short sides? Then maybe you are looking at doing a *very* minimal FUE.  If you want longer sides- maybe you can do a FUT and get more.  Each one has big pros and cons, so I'd consider that.  Whatever you do I don't think you should get a large FUE.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:39 AM, NoCompromises said:

A clinic I trust told me that I am not a good candidate for a hair transplant since my donor area is thin.
My donor area has been the same since I was young.
My father has norwood 7.

I'm using topical minoxidil and oral finasteride for a few years.
I believe the hair loss keeps going, but very slowly, thanks to the medications.

I am norwood 2-3.

What should I do?

image.thumb.jpeg.98cb9dedf39ee7080f04f7277852f6fc.jpeg

The first photo, with your hair longer, sure looks a lot better than the one you submitted last.  In that one you're wearing a high and tight haircut.  Many doctors would be thrown off by this as they could clearly see scalp.  That could well mean you're thinning in the donor. And, if so, there would be subsequent thinning  of whatever is harvested from the area.  An in person evaluation would clarify this for you.  I'd encourage you to arrive with your hair longer at the time of the evaluation.  

Glad to hear you're on some sort of regimen to help you retain the native hair.  This is important when you consider, if you've lost, you'll continue losing. 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

@NoCompromises,

it’s hard to evaluate your donor area with  only one photos showing your nape area.  Based on the photo o am inclined to agree that it is on the thinner side. But I’d have to see the entire back of the scalp and the sides as well to get a better idea of what your entire donor area looks like.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.