One-time PRP treatment at time of hair transplant - Worth the cost?

Question for everyone whom elected to have a one-time treatment of PRP at time of their hair transplant:

Was it worth the cost? Do you believe it had any positive healing effect on your recipient and donor areas?

Some references say have it done at the time of transplant. Some say you should wait 10 days *after transplant* with a follow up every few months thereafter. Then on the other side of the table, some say it should be avoided all together and does more harm than good like this article from Feller and Bloxham: https://fellermedical.com/hair-transplants-vs-prp/.

Thoughts everyone? Would love to hear some personal experiences with one-time use PRP treatment at time of hair transplant. Thanks.

• Valued Contributor

@Observatory40 its a complex question and there is no straight answer to it...i had a prp during surgery and how would i know that it helped me or not...how should i judge that thing..so its not possible...every surgeon have their own preferences and you have to go by the recommendation of the surgeon you choose..and by the way most of the surgeons provide prp free of cost along with HT.....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

36 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Observatory40 its a complex question and there is no straight answer to it...i had a prp during surgery and how would i know that it helped me or not...how should i judge that thing..so its not possible...every surgeon have their own preferences and you have to go by the recommendation of the surgeon you choose..and by the way most of the surgeons provide prp free of cost along with HT.....

Please check out Dr. Puri's videos on PRP results. Seems too good to be true. I didn't actually believe in PRP a lot until I came across her videos. I'm still not completely convinced ofc, but I'm considering giving clinic a visit sometime late next year (if time and circumstances permit)

@duckling @Melvin- Moderator would love your takes too

https://youtu.be/gxWI1A895O4

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
7 minutes ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Please check out Dr. Puri's videos on PRP results. Seems too good to be true. I didn't actually believe in PRP a lot until I came across her videos. I'm still not completely convinced ofc, but I'm considering giving clinic a visit sometime late next year (if time and circumstances permit)

There are many such videos which are pro prp and some are not....

If i tell you about my personal experience than i would say i had a good experience long time before my HT i tried prp sessions and it worked on me and my hairs got fuller and thicker but again this thing varies from person to person as my own friend didn't see any gain from the same thing...see there are many such therapies which can work for some and not everyone ...so all this therapies and other non surgical things are like trial and error ..we should try if we can afford them and if we feel positive about it and can wish for a good outcome and than if it doesn't work for us than we have to move on...as simple as that...

• Like 2

--> My Thread

21 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

..and by the way most of the surgeons provide prp free of cost along with HT.....

None of the surgeons I'm looking into provide it for free. I'm willing to take on the additional expense of including it in my procedure if it actually has a noticeable benefit, but it seems like the jury is largely still out on how effective it is.

21 hours ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Thanks for the link. I would be interested in their opinions as well!

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Observatory40 said:

None of the surgeons I'm looking into provide it for free. I'm willing to take on the additional expense of including it in my procedure if it actually has a noticeable benefit, but it seems like the jury is largely still out on how effective it is.

Yeh actually its like a trial and error thing...works and some and not on everyone...

--> My Thread

I had PRP during my surgery, and I did two more sessions (at month 2 and month 3) and I think I'm good now.  I can choose to continue to do this every 6 months from now onward, but I haven't decided if I will.

I only did it because I wanted to make sure I had the smoothest recovery possible and figured "why not" if it can promote healing and possibly early growth.  Plus I did read some medical journals that did show that it promotes growth and healing.  I can't really confirm if it worked because I can't compare it to a version of me that didn't do the PRP.  But worst case scenario, I wasted some money for no reason.  

I did start to experience new hair growth at 2.5 months, but my scalp redness still (barely) remains and I am slightly over 3 months.  I experienced zero shockloss in my donor and recipient area, and I had a lot of miniaturized native hairs that we were transplanting into.  So take that for what it's worth.

My recommendation is, if you have the money, then go for it.  If you're tight on cash, then I think it's just a luxury thing that is probably not going to make or break your hair transplant.