Medication After Transplant

5 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

Is there a general consensus how long after surgery can you start medication? (Finasteride/Dutasteride/Oral Min) 

There are two possible answers to this question.  For patients who've never used meds, the time to be on them is when you first realize there's hair loss.  Waiting makes no sense.  Suppose you were meant to lose all the native hair before moving forward with a procedure.  

If you've been a long time user of meds, (particularly Rogaine), it's suggested you stop the med a week before.  If you flood the field, the doctor can't see what he's doing. You can typically resume the use of it a week later.  There's no reason to stop Fin.  

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I was instructed to stop Finasteride during surgery and start Dut (agreed to switch) day 10 post op but was allowed Oral Minoxidil 3 days post surgery.

The reason they gave was mostly due to avoid having too much medication in my bloodstream so stop and start specific ones at specific times. I took no big deal out of it because I knew I would be able to restart and I wouldnt really lose much ground (if any) for stopping. 

I think they advised Oral Minoxidil starting day 3 so I could get the grafts anchored as quickly as possible since it could help in the healing proccess from my understanding.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

You should start medication before you get a hair transplant. I would recommend at least 6 months, you could save a lot of money if you get some regrowth.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

Thanks all, I’ve never been on meds so I was wondering if I can start now (9 days after) or wait 2 weeks before I start the meds (Google says so) 🤣 thanks in advance 

I would always follow what your surgeon has to say and go along with it. They are there to advise you anyway. 

As I said numerous times before I would always advise using medication as the first resource when combating this desease and only use surgery as an absolute last means, but to each their own. 

If you ask me I think you will be fine starting Finasteride at least. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I would always follow what your surgeon has to say and go along with it. They are there to advise you anyway. 

As I said numerous times before I would always advise using medication as the first resource when combating this desease and only use surgery as an absolute last means, but to each their own. 

If you ask me I think you will be fine starting Finasteride at least. 

thank you, appreciate your help 😊 

• Like 1