Graft survival rate and when/how do we know a graft has survived?

Hi,

I have read a lot in this forum the last few weeks. Mainly reviews. Had my hair transplant done 14 days ago with Dr. Laorwong. I am planning to write a review soon. Sorry for my English, its not my native speaking language. Decided to make an account here and ask my question.

So this question bothers me the most, ever since I had my hair transplant. The graft survival rate. What seems to be around 90% nowadays. In the crown lower I read. Now I wonder, when do we know a graft has survived? In the first few days, when they get anchored to the scalp? Or during/after the shedding, when the new hair starts coming? Is this process visible? Will the scalp "spit" the graft out, if it doesn't accept it? A loss of 10% of grafts is a pretty high rate, so this should be visible/detectable?

Unfortunately I couldnt find any answer to this question in the web. I asked this in a few Youtube videos in the comments section but never got a reply. So hopefully I get some answers here.

Edited by Sele

56 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

you usually know they survived around 3-6 months, the time varies by person.

Does this depend on blood flow if a graft survives? How can we improve survival rate? I plan doing 2 more prp sessions in the next 2 months and plan using rosemary oil to improve blood flow. Also add dermaroller once the HT is healed. Around month 3 or 4. 

3 hours ago, Sele said:

Does this depend on blood flow if a graft survives? How can we improve survival rate? I plan doing 2 more prp sessions in the next 2 months and plan using rosemary oil to improve blood flow. Also add dermaroller once the HT is healed. Around month 3 or 4. 

Not sure what to think about this. Everybody else says different. Maybe he wants to built more trust by being different. 

Edited by Sele

Because we cannot see beneath the scalp, we won’t know how many grafts survived until the regrowth manifests.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

@Selehey! How is your hair and scars doing?

could you do a post with pics to see everything?

i have mine upcoming in a bit with the same doctor and I’m super nervous so seeing people’s experience and how the hairline and so looks like would be helpful!

thank you

7 hours ago, Wingtsun said:

@Selehey! How is your hair and scars doing?

could you do a post with pics to see everything?

i have mine upcoming in a bit with the same doctor and I’m super nervous so seeing people’s experience and how the hairline and so looks like would be helpful!

thank you

I will do. Probably on the weekend. I didn’t receive my pictures yet. 

I guess we were chatting on Reddit already? If so, you seen my pictures already. 

@Sele,

in the simplest of terms, the easiest and best way to know if a graft survived is watching it grow after it’s been transplanted.   On the other hand, if a Graft is transplant and it sits there at the same length and never does anything except finally falling out with no growth to come, then and very likely didn't survive and fell out.

but honestly, it’s very difficult to keep track of every single graft has been transplanted because what happens underneath the surface of the scalp is invisible and make it to the human eye.  Or, some action could take place lol the surface of the skin but may fully grow on the side of the scalp that we want to see it.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

11 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Sele,

in the simplest of terms, the easiest and best way to know if a graft survived is watching it grow after it’s been transplanted.   On the other hand, if a Graft is transplant and it sits there at the same length and never does anything except finally falling out with no growth to come, then and very likely didn't survive and fell out.

but honestly, it’s very difficult to keep track of every single graft has been transplanted because what happens underneath the surface of the scalp is invisible and make it to the human eye.  Or, some action could take place lol the surface of the skin but may fully grow on the side of the scalp that we want to see it.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you. Now that makes me worried. I have tens of tiny hairs in the hair line that didn’t grow any since the transplant 19 days ago. They still have the length of 1mm or some less. Does it mean they didn’t ground and will fall out?

IMG_5669.jpeg

Edited by Sele

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 12:27 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Sele,

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Isn't 15% approximately of grafts in the telogen phase, and will only grow once shed? I.e., no initial growth. It's normal that grafts don't "grow" before falling out. Doesn't mean that the graft failed.

Edited by Chrisno

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023