Consistency of propecia results across scalp

imissthebarber

I was just wondering how uniformly propecia works across the scalp. I know that it has a reputation for being most effective in the crown area. Is it possible that it could actively cause regrowth in the crown whilst hairs are still being lost elsewhere?

I have been using it for about six months and I think it has improved the crown but have noticed some hairs coming out. I realise there could be many other explanations but just want to hear other people's experiences.

I was just wondering how uniformly propecia works across the scalp. I know that it has a reputation for being most effective in the crown area. Is it possible that it could actively cause regrowth in the crown whilst hairs are still being lost elsewhere?

I have been using it for about six months and I think it has improved the crown but have noticed some hairs coming out. I realise there could be many other explanations but just want to hear other people's experiences.

Imissthebarber,

I think in order to answer this question, you have to understand how Propecia actually works.

Finasteride, the active ingredient in Propecia, inhibits the production of approximately 60% of the DHT in the body by blocking Type II 5-alpha reductase enzymes. That said, your body still produces some DHT and therefore, there is still the possibility that some DHT will bind to hair follicle receptor sites and cause damage to it. Since the quantity of DHT has been diminished, it will most likely result in less damage to the hair follicles. Hair follicles that are more susceptible to DHT may still continue to weaken and thus, those hairs, may continue to shrink and die. Hairs not as susceptible may thicken as a result of a lesser amount of DHT in the body.

Since hair loss patterns vary in each person, it's difficult to say which area of the scalp will have a greater advantage of maintaining existing hair. However, usually men with male pattern baldness who take Propecia have a greater chance of keeping a lot more of their hair than men who don't.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill

I think I read somewhere that either Dutasteride or Avodart inhibit both types of the enzyme. Does this mean that they are more effective? Excluding minoxidil which works in a different way, propecia still seems to be the most common med so I'm guessing the others may have some drawbacks?

First of all, good explanation Bill for the finasteride.

think I read somewhere that either Dutasteride or Avodart inhibit both types of the enzyme. Does this mean that they are more effective?

imissthebarber,

Yes. DHT is inhibited up to 91% I believe. 100% inhibition is not possible.

You can take a look at these links:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.co...eatments/avodart.php

http://hair-restoration-info.c...=190109531#190109531

take care...

mmhce - thanks for the useful links.

In a nutshell it seems Dutasteride does inhibit DHT more effectively than propecia but; it has a greater propensity to cause side effects, and is not currently FDA approved as a hair loss treatment. Does anyone know if it is approved as a treatment for hair loss in other countries?

Also I'm still interested if anyone has got any personal experiences of propecia causing hair rejuvenation in one part of the scalp but still losing hair in another area.

Does anyone know if it is approved as a treatment for hair loss in other countries?

I think European countries have higher restriction standards, though countries in the old Soviet block are somewhat "experimental".

Third World Countries....well...

I'm still interested if anyone has got any personal experiences of propecia causing hair rejuvenation in one part of the scalp but still losing hair in another area.

For me hair at the side of my head becomes thick, but MPB still continues on the top though at a retarded rate. I don't if that happens to other persons, but I believe can the basis for a further detailed response.

take care...