Clinica Medilor (Dr. Jose Lorenzo) said I can sleep normally after surgery

I'm about to book surgery with Dr. Lorenzo and have been emailing his clinic various questions. One of the things I asked is how long I need to sleep in an upright position and they replied that there is no need - I can sleep "normally". Has anyone else heard this from either that clinic or another one? Everything I've read says to sleep at a 30-90 degree angle for 5-15 days (the numbers vary from source to source).

you are going to be miserable and sleep deprived the first week of surgery, no matter how you sleep. 

But all you need to do is sleep on your back for 3 days with a travelers pillow and you will be in the clear. 

Or you can sleep normally and totally run the realistic chance of dislodging grafts

your call

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

21 hours ago, xtl said:

I'm about to book surgery with Dr. Lorenzo and have been emailing his clinic various questions. One of the things I asked is how long I need to sleep in an upright position and they replied that there is no need - I can sleep "normally". Has anyone else heard this from either that clinic or another one? Everything I've read says to sleep at a 30-90 degree angle for 5-15 days (the numbers vary from source to source).

The only reason to sleep at an angle is to help the fluids drain from your face so you don't look bloated. If you don't mind a puffy face for ~5 days then you can sleep normally, just don't sleep on the recipient area.

I tried sleeping upright but gave up after the second or third day.

The travel pillow is critical though.  You don't want to roll over in your sleep and rub your recipient area all over your pillow during those first five days.  The travel pillow will keep you stabilized.  

The incline thing (as mentioned above) is moreso about preventing swelling in your face from the local anesthesia that still remains and is working its way out of your body.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:19 PM, shadowcast said:

The only reason to sleep at an angle is to help the fluids drain from your face so you don't look bloated. If you don't mind a puffy face for ~5 days then you can sleep normally, just don't sleep on the recipient area.

That makes sense! Thanks to everyone for the replies. I don't care too much about looking bloated for a while, but will definitely get a good travel pillow. (Hopefully this forum has some recommendations, will search!)

I had a great time sleeping to be honest. It was easy as hell like 90% of the time. There was just one time when I was about to roll over but stopped myself from doing it. 

But I practiced like weeks before so I knew how to do it and took my own pillow as well which helped. I didn't used the clinics because I felt like it wasn't firm enough to hold me in.