Antibiotics after a hair transplant

KSA91

Are antibiotics really necessary after a hair transplant?? I know they are issued by doctors after a hair transplant to avoid infection in the recipient area, but after doing research infection is incredibly rare after surgery anyway. So is it worth destroying the healthy gut bacteria in your stomach? 

• Moderators

Some Drs no longer prescribe antibiotics after a hair transplant. The holes are so small these days that it's usually not necessary.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

My Dr (Nader) said most Dr's don't prescribe anti-biotics. He said he'd never had a patient get infected, but he still prescribes them anyways just as a pre-cautionary measure.

I personally didn't take any antibiotics for exactly the reasons you stated: it's really not a good idea to take antibiotics unnecessarily due to them wreaking havoc on your gut microbiome. 

• Like 2

My personal opinion is that you should absolutely take oral antibiotics. Yes, the risk of infection is small, but if you do get an infection you can say goodbye to your results. If you opt for a transplant, why take the risk? The risk of getting in a car accident is also low, but I guess you still wear a seatbelt.

Your gut bacteria will recover quickly enough. Take the antibiotics.

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

On 7/10/2023 at 12:09 PM, KSA91 said:

Are antibiotics really necessary after a hair transplant?? I know they are issued by doctors after a hair transplant to avoid infection in the recipient area, but after doing research infection is incredibly rare after surgery anyway. So is it worth destroying the healthy gut bacteria in your stomach? 

You are right. The best practices these days suggest not using antibiotics routinely post hair transplant. Having said that there is so much variation in cleanliness and sterility standards between clinics and between different countries that this is absolutely a post op decision you should follow YOUR physician's recommendation and not listen to the forum voice. 
If you have concerns regarding your gut flora, or have a history of any gastrointestinal issues you should talk to your doctor regarding this so they can modify their treatment plan accordingly.

Edited by Bhumik Shah MD
  • Like 3

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician.