does oral minoxidil after ht increase chances of graft survival?

people like @Rolandas or @Gatsby have insane results, beat the norwood reaper and came back from norwood 5 / 6 respectively and now are basically rocking the luscious hair of a 20 year old. both obviously choose very good surgeons but also took oral minoxidil. 

obviously oral minoxidil could have waken up some sleeping folicles which could add to the result but at least in @Gatsbycases these folicles must have slept for a long time..

and apparently one reason hairfolicles die is because the blood supply is simply not there and there is competition over it..

so could it be that oral minoxidil makes it easier for the transplanted grafts to get sufficient blood supply?

could it be that oral minoxodil increases the survival chances of folicles drastically after surgery? in that case wouldnt it be recommended to hop on it directly after surgery for lets say at least a year or so (even if you dont want to stay on it permanently)

Edited by mr_peanutbutter

• mr_peanutbutter changed the title to does oral minoxidil after ht increase chances of graft survival?
18 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

De Freitas recomended me to start on the third day post surgery so I will start tomorrow my first dose of 5mg. 

I was told that it improves the results of the transplants by his nurse.

i feel like this is a good idea

i could imagine that it increases the survival chances of the grafts

2 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

i feel like this is a good idea

i could imagine that it increases the survival chances of the grafts

Honestly if I could go back I would have started the nuclear stack (Dut + OM) earlier and could have gotten better regrowth before even taking surgery. But it is what it is, I have still some hopes that it would strenghten the crown.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

For survival i think It can only help when a patient has lack of blood supply...imo survival factor depends more on other factors rather than medication 

And for growth its surely increases the pace of growth for everyone ...so it will surely help as a booster for transplants and in most of the cases the effect of shedding is less comparatively and there is early growth 

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@mr_peanutbutter,

Graft survival doesn’t depend on any use of non-surgical solutions, whether it be finasteride or minoxidil, taken orally or topically.   Graft survival has to do with the skill and experience of the surgeon and clinic operating on you. And, of course, there are a number of variables during surgery that will impact graft, survival and growth.  This includes how the follicular units are extracted, how long the graft are outside of the body, the type of holding solution, and how the freshly extracted follicles and hairs are implanted into recipient, incisions, and the level of care that goes into all these moving parts of the hair transplant, which comes from experience and skill, etc.   

nonsurgical solutions, such as minoxidil and finasteride health, especially with maintaining one’s existing natural hair, and even possibly reversing some of the effects of genetic hair loss. If someone is a good responder to finasteride or minoxidil, for example, one might reverse some of the effects of male pattern baldness, increasing the amount of terminal hair they have, and then in conjunction, with a hair transplant, their results will likely look phenomenal.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.