About Unshaven FUE or DHI Possibilities

Hey Everybody,

I hope everyone is fine. I just your opinions regarding my circumstance. Do you think unshaven FUE or unshaven DHI will do in my empty spots? And how does my donor area look for you? Is it sharp enough?

I have been suffering from losing my crown hair for 5 years. And since 1.5 years, I have got losses in the front sides as well.

How many graft will I need?

Thank you so much for your opinions

20230604_155505.jpg

20230620_234525.jpg

20230620_234821.jpg

20230619_165148.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_224944_Photos.jpg

20230604_155536~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230614_204017_Photos.jpg

Im not sure exactly what your question about unshaven FUE is. 

But what I can tell you is unshaven fue isnt fooling anyone and literally 100% of guys are better off getting fully shaven.

Your crown loss is significant.

I wager you need 1 Grand Slam procedure, or 2 homerun procedures, or 3 average/medicore procedures to get it filled in

The crown needs an insane # of grafts to be filled in

• Valued Contributor

I'm not a doctor but the first thing I would suggest is to hop onto medication if you are not on any now. You want to halt that hair loss and retain as much as is possible. Medication can also potentially strengthen you donor hair also making you an even better candidate for surgery. The lower crown is looking like in time it will also experience more loss. Don;t get caught up in the jargon. DHI is FUE basically. I would concentrate on stabilizing your hair loss for a year and then look at surgeons recommended by the results of lots of patients on the forum. All the best! 👍

• Valued Contributor

Consult a good doctor and get on to medication...medication plus some non surgical treatments like mesotherapy and prp ....first of all you need to stabilise your hairloss and than do the surgery or else you will be chasing hairs forever....get on medication and some therapies for one year and than reassess the situation and than take your decision ...

And don't get confused between fue and dhi ..its all same...just the implantation tool is different ...don't look at the techniques and all..looks at the end results which only matter...best of luck..

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

17 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Im not sure exactly what your question about unshaven FUE is. 

But what I can tell you is unshaven fue isnt fooling anyone and literally 100% of guys are better off getting fully shaven.

Your crown loss is significant.

I wager you need 1 Grand Slam procedure, or 2 homerun procedures, or 3 average/medicore procedures to get it filled in

The crown needs an insane # of grafts to be filled in

I disagree with almost everything said above. 

I could've gone into work a few days after my unshaven FUE and no one would've known anything had been done. Granted I only had crown work done, but because of how I style my hair I would've probably been able to hide hairline work too. I can post pictures if needed. 

Whether his crown loss is significant is a relative matter. I'd say somewhere in the middle. 

OP can easily do both hairline and crown with one procedure of around 4000 grafts. 1800 or so into the crown (Depending on how many hairs per graft average) and 2200 for the hairline. DEFINITELY no need for 3 procedures... That's absolute madness. 

• Face Palm 1

First you need to clarify whether you are asking about unshaven donor or unshaven recipient or both? In my opinion, for your crown alone you need around 1800-2200 grafts currently. To obtain that many grafts, I would strongly encourage my patients to consider shaving their donor area. Shaving gives better visibility allowing the surgeon to use a smaller punch, and obtain better grafts.

Since the hair in your crown has miniaturized significantly, you can probably get away without shaving the recipient area or trimming it minimally.

As others have mentioned, medical stabilization with finasteride and or minoxidil should strongly be considered.

Edited by Bhumik Shah MD
  • Like 1

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

On 6/23/2023 at 11:08 PM, GoliGoliGoli said:

I disagree with almost everything said above. 

I could've gone into work a few days after my unshaven FUE and no one would've known anything had been done. Granted I only had crown work done, but because of how I style my hair I would've probably been able to hide hairline work too. I can post pictures if needed. 

Whether his crown loss is significant is a relative matter. I'd say somewhere in the middle. 

OP can easily do both hairline and crown with one procedure of around 4000 grafts. 1800 or so into the crown (Depending on how many hairs per graft average) and 2200 for the hairline. DEFINITELY no need for 3 procedures... That's absolute madness. 

Thank you very much for your opinion. So do you think the unshaven fue option might be operated for me as well?

On 6/24/2023 at 3:21 AM, Bhumik Shah MD said:

First you need to clarify whether you are asking about unshaven donor or unshaven recipient or both? In my opinion, for your crown alone you need around 1800-2200 grafts currently. To obtain that many grafts, I would strongly encourage my patients to consider shaving their donor area. Shaving gives better visibility allowing the surgeon to use a smaller punch, and obtain better grafts.

Since the hair in your crown has miniaturized significantly, you can probably get away without shaving the recipient area or trimming it minimally.

As others have mentioned, medical stabilization with finasteride and or minoxidil should strongly be considered.

Thank you. I was asking about unshaven recipient area. I am perfectly fine to shave my donor are. It won't hurt to have a hair style like Thomas Shelby for a week or 2-3 weeks :)

Do you think shaven donor and unshaved recipient operation might work for me? 

And I am extremely afraid of the side effects of finastride. Would I go with PRP? Would it work? 

On 6/23/2023 at 9:49 PM, Dillpickle123 said:

Unshaven only works with it’s ok the hairline I did it and no one ever has found out I got a transplant just take like a week off as you probably need around 2000-2500 grafts for your crown but need to take fin

So do you think the shaven donir and unshaven recipient fue option might be operated for me as well?

42 minutes ago, Joachim2345 said:

Thank you very much for your opinion. So do you think the unshaven fue option might be operated for me as well?

It's always best to do a full shave prior to any HT. It allows the Dr and his team of techs a better view of what's going on and what direction your hair naturally flows. 

That said, it does suck having to shave your head fully if you need to go back to real life after your HT and don't want people knowing. 

So yes it's an option, and one that I and others have done with no regrets (As mentioned though I was only doing crown work). I think the main thing would be picking a surgeon who is comfortable with doing an unshaven procedure. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

1 hour ago, Joachim2345 said:

Thank you. I was asking about unshaven recipient area. I am perfectly fine to shave my donor are. It won't hurt to have a hair style like Thomas Shelby for a week or 2-3 weeks :)

Do you think shaven donor and unshaved recipient operation might work for me? 

And I am extremely afraid of the side effects of finastride. Would I go with PRP? Would it work? 

You can most likely get away with unshaven recipient. I had to look up Thomas Shelby. He has a full head of hair. You may look better with buzzing everything off and keeping it the same length, but that is subjective.

PRP may work, but the efficacy is much lower compared to finasteride. It will also be much more expensive. 

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician.