What Things To Ask At Consultation?

Hey everyone

are there any important questions I should make sure I ask at the consultation? Anything about pricing, grafts number, how conservative they are with the hairline?

When i go into the consultation is it bad if I tell the surgeon I have checked and gone to see other surgeons too for advice?

In my opinion, consultations should be about the hands-on data and your personal situation that emails, photos, vids and calls cannot cover, so make sure to have a very in-depth analysis with real empirical take home data that means something as in density, safe zone, loss pattern, follicular unit make up, hair calibre etc. There may be small areas trimmed to obtain readings. Try to get prices and the information that is more generic prior sorted so you know the A,B,C before going to the consultation so you narrow down to the clinics that fit your budget, expectations etc. 

The consultation can be 30 minutes or so and should not ideally be about things that could have been easily answered by email or a call and so it is important to use it wisely. No clinic will be upset if people have more than one consultation, we recommend it and more so if people are travelling to us and there are others nearby, and some will gel better with a particular clinic or doctor and that is fine also.

When some tell me they have had X amount of consultations I ask them what real data do they have and often they have zero apart from they are a good candidate..so there are still plenty of places not giving real data to go on but thankfully some will be able to give you data that is just not subjective and meaningless. Ask beforehand what can you expect from the in-person consultation in terms of verifiable readings. 

All the best in this and let us all know how your consultations go.

• Like 3

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Valued Contributor

I personally believe that there is no such thing as a bad question and an in person consultation allows you the opportunity to see if this surgeon is the right surgeon for you. I always ask what is the long term plan with my type of MPB as MPB is progressive. What role will medication play in my treatment. Ideally this should be coming from the surgeon you speak with (and definitely make sure you are speaking to the surgeon who will performing surgery on you). I would also ask to see an ex patient who has similar hair loss to you. Finally I would definitely ask what is the clinic's policy if at the end of twelve months post op you are not happy with the results? All the best.

• Like 1