FUE first or FUT first

Hi guys,

I am confused. Some doctors said FUT first and then FUE will give more grafts.  If I do FUE first and then do FUT, why will I get less grafts? 

Also for the FUT, do they use all the grafts on the strip they cut out?

Thanks so much,

Peter

• Valued Contributor

Generally most of the doctors would suggest fut first and than fue but there might be few doctors like dr mwamba who would do fue first...when i had a conversation with him long time back he said that to fix hairline and temples we need more single grafts and finer grafts so fue would be better as they can cherry pick the grafts they want to use to create a good hairlines and temples...so a small fue session is good if the aim is to create a good frontal look and than in 2nd session can do FUT and use al the grafts for mid scalp and crown...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

4 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

Generally most of the doctors would suggest fut first and than fue but there might be few doctors like dr mwamba who would do fue first...when i had a conversation with him long time back he said that to fix hairline and temples we need more single grafts and finer grafts so fue would be better as they can cherry pick the grafts they want to use to create a good hairlines and temples...so a small fue session is good if the aim is to create a good frontal look and than in 2nd session can do FUT and use al the grafts for mid scalp and crown...

you also need to consider scalp laxity

- the higher the scalp laxity the more suited is a candidate for FUT

- with every FUT scalp laxity decreases

this means it makes little sense for example to get FUT for a small graft procedure because you "sacrifice“ scalp laxity for nothing

its different for a full norwood 4- 6 guy obviously who needs a lot of grafts, in that case FUT first advisable. it allows to move a lot of grafts in one setting and the strip is "contaminated“ with fue scars

i want to add that in one @Melvin- Moderatorinterviews with 2 doctors who made a study on the matter the doctors also mentioned that you can get an FUT after FUE and still get that extra-graft boost that comes with the FUE/FUT combination

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@mr_peanutbutter yeh ofcourse scalp laxity need to be checked ....actually dr mwamba advised me to do a fue first and thn go for fut..he told me that both the things will give you equal number of grafts (1st fue and thn fut or 1st fut and thn fue) ..bt according to him if we go with fue first thn he can construct hairlines and temples with cherry picked single and fine hairs in a better way and than in 2nd session can go for a fut option...and the benefit of combo like that will be achieved...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@Pelange,

in my opinion, the only reason one would really need to undergo both procedures, FUT and FUE is if you have advanced balding, and you are going for a maximum number of follicular units. But then you have to consider all the variables associated with undergoing both procedures and whether or not it’s worth it to you.

To answer your question, I personally feel, and I think most would agree that it’s better to start with FUT and finish up with FUE if you are definitely going to do both. I will explain why shortly.  

But first, to continue with my original point, if you do end up starting with FUT, it’s advised to go the distance and continue with FUT until you are “stripped out”.  That means, you keep going back for another FUT procedure until there’s essentially not enough scalp elasticity to proceed with another.  Then, you can undergo FUE as many times as possible in order to maximize the number of grafts you can receive without causing damage to the donor area.  Keep in mind, however, that the more FUT procedures, you undergo, the greater the risk of obtaining a wider or stretched scar.  This may affect your ability to cut the hair on the side the back of your head exceptionally short.  That’s something you need to consider if you go this route.

Now, the reason is, I suggested to undergo FUT first prior to starting with FUT you’re taking an entire strip of tissue and using every hair follicle and graft contained in that strip.  FUE has a tendency cause some underlying tissue damage and scoring, which won’t affect your FUE, but may make the surrounding follicles more fragile.   This isn’t a problem if you keep on doing FUE because the surgeon never extracts follicular units that are next to one another.    But, if you take a strip of tissue in an area where FUE was performed, some of those follicles within the strip may be fragile, and as a result may not grow when transplanted into recipient sites.

So, in my opinion, consider all the above along with all the other variables and decide carefully which direction you want to go. Today, FUE is an exceptional procedure in the right hands with phenomenal growth yield and you can obtain a large number of grafts with FUE alone.  I suggest speaking to a few surgeons that you are most impressed with and garner their opinion about your case.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

@Rahal Hair Transplant@A_4_Archan@mr_peanutbutter

Thanks everyone for your expert opinions. I already have an FUE and now I want to do a 2nd HT. Some surgeons told me to do a FUT and I was debating if I should go with Eugenix for FUE. Their results looks good too. At the same time, I am worried if I use most of the grafts in the 2nd HT, I might not be able to do FUT later or sth else. I am trying to meet with Dr. Sethi from Eugenix in July to see what he thinks. 

Thanks again.

39 minutes ago, Pelange said:

@Rahal Hair Transplant@A_4_Archan@mr_peanutbutter

Thanks everyone for your expert opinions. I already have an FUE and now I want to do a 2nd HT. Some surgeons told me to do a FUT and I was debating if I should go with Eugenix for FUE. Their results looks good too. At the same time, I am worried if I use most of the grafts in the 2nd HT, I might not be able to do FUT later or sth else. I am trying to meet with Dr. Sethi from Eugenix in July to see what he thinks. 

Thanks again.

What are you trying to fix and what is your norwood?

Sethi is a solid doctor, but his decision-making strikes me as questionable. For example, he tends to be willing to sacrifice hump and crown coverage, and opts to use more grafts for temple points. It's fairly aggressive and seems more short-sighted when grafts may be needed for dipping humps.