Seeking Advice

I’m 61 years old, which seems a lot older than most people on this site.  I still had a good amount of hair at 50, but this year loss has increased up front. I’ve lost my crown but don’t really care as much about that.  I do care about the front. So I’m considering a FUE procedure.  It seems a lot of doctors are pushing extras.  I really don’t want pills, milkshakes, plasma treatments etc.  Just the procedure.  Is that even possible or advisable?  I guess what I’m looking for is a low stress experience. And based on my age, I would plan on only doing this once. Any advice or comments pro/con?  Does the chance of a successful procedure go down for older patients?

hair1.JPG

hair2.JPG

hair3.JPG

hair4.JPG

• Valued Contributor

There is no age for the hair greed 😊

At this age you will not need finasteride...if you just wanna do it once and wanna do it to the fullest as much as your donor allows in one go than you can look for dr pittela or zarev as they are more experienced with bigger sessions....zarev has a long waiting list and you may have to wait for more than 1.5 year and i think he charges 2 euros per graft more for earlier dates(though i cannot validate that) so i guess dr pittela would be more convenient to you...but all depends on your donor..if donor is not that healthy than you can just have a small to medium session and can fix your hairline and some density in mid scalp 

And for that you have got many good options  

So think about that and please post a picture of the back of the scalp aso evryone can see your donor and can give their opinions accordingly ....

Edited by A_4_Archan
  • Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@CarolinaMale,

Yes, it is certainly possible and plausible to undergo a hair transplant surgery without any additional treatments.  That said, you do have pretty substantial hair loss.  Personally, I would like to see some photos of the sides and back of the scalp.  This is the donor area surgeons use and harvest from for transplanting.

Keep in mind however that even with substantial donor hair, you will need to have realistic expectations.

I’m glad to hear that you’re not as concerned about the crown as this area will likely not be able to be touched at all. But in order for the hair transplant to look natural, there should really be enough donor hair to re-create a conservative looking hairline and reach at least the mid scalp section.

In your opinion, how is the hair on the sides and back of your scalp holding up? Have you noticed any thinning back there?

As long as you have the donor hair for it which will need to be evaluated by the surgeon, In my opinion, I could see re-creating a conservative, natural looking hairline with some mild density and then go back as far as possible which I suspect would be somewhere into the midsection of the scalp. You would likely not be able to get any work done in the temple areas given your level of hair loss  

Keep in mind however, this is just my opinion as a patient and advisor, this is not necessarily Dr. Rahal‘s opinion.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.