No shave FUE, is the yield really the same?

I have an upcoming FUE procedure where I was told in theory that not shaving the recipient area will not affect my yield, it will just make the surgery last longer.

I anticipate it will be something in the 1500-2000 graft range.

My question is, since I recently changed jobs I really did not want to shave my recipient area and sort of hide what was done as much as possible. What I am concerned with is keeping my head clean post op, and that having longer recipient hair will make it more difficult to follow proper post op care.

Is this concern valid? 

Also, I will take a week+ off from work, so when I come back it will look like a buzzcut mostly. The main issue is the ugly duckling stage when all the grafts fall out, where then it will be obvious and my appearance won't able to be fixed even with fibers, since the hair length wont be long enough.

To add, I will just be adding density to the hairline and midscale, not lowering the hairline. 

• Valued Contributor

The best thing to do before surgery is to shave your head a couple of months before the date of surgery. That way you colleagues/friends will be used to seeing you like this. When it comes to a no shave hair transplant personally my opinion is that anything that makes it more difficult for the surgeon/techs is not in your favor. You want all the stars to align in your favor. Also you will be surprised how happy your friends, colleagues will be for you if they knew you were having a hair transplant. I went back to work and the only people who knew was my friend and boss who were in my corner about doing this. All the best. 👍

• Like 1

Bro, just shave. IMO not worth the extended surgery duration + higher risk transection (which some doctors seemingly cite and others are less worried about). Just maintain a buzzcut for a few months. 

Even if co-workers see, don't worry about it. Jobs and co-workers are temporary; most people don't last more than 3 years before changing things up. A transplant is meant to last you a long time, and that's what you are going to see in the mirror day in day out.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Z-- said:

Bro, just shave. IMO not worth the extended surgery duration + higher risk transection (which some doctors seemingly cite and others are less worried about). Just maintain a buzzcut for a few months. 

Even if co-workers see, don't worry about it. Jobs and co-workers are temporary; most people don't last more than 3 years before changing things up. A transplant is meant to last you a long time, and that's what you are going to see in the mirror day in day out.

I've already had one transplant where I shaved my head so I know how it goes...but fortunately I worked from home during the ugly duckling stage so no one saw me haha.

This will be a little trickier, but I don't look terrible with a shaved head either way. I was hoping to just conceal it better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

The best thing to do before surgery is to shave your head a couple of months before the date of surgery. That way you colleagues/friends will be used to seeing you like this. When it comes to a no shave hair transplant personally my opinion is that anything that makes it more difficult for the surgeon/techs is not in your favor. You want all the stars to align in your favor. Also you will be surprised how happy your friends, colleagues will be for you if they knew you were having a hair transplant. I went back to work and the only people who knew was my friend and boss who were in my corner about doing this. All the best. 👍

Already had one bigger 4k+ graft session where I shaved so I know how the whole rodeo goes. This is more of a touch up procedure, but was hoping to just conceal it a bit more...but what's a bit with a buzzcut in the long run, not a big deal I suppose...

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

even if you only shave the recipient and not the whole head you may be able to conceal the recipient area with the remaining hair, that’s what I did anyway 

22 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

even if you only shave the recipient and not the whole head you may be able to conceal the recipient area with the remaining hair, that’s what I did anyway 

If I shave the recipient how can I conceal it?

Shaving the donor is a must so that I know I would have to do.