Hair Loss Progression as We Age?

I don't think there is any data out there one way or another on this so basically, you're just going off of anecdotal evidence. There is evidence that DHT declines (Along with Testosterone) as you get older, so perhaps that leads to slower loss. But it really depends on your hair follicles genetic susceptibility to DHT. If your hair follicle has a high affinity for DHT, it doesn't matter if your DHT gets lower because some will always be circulating and will find its way to your hair follicles. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Is it true that it tends to slow down significantly every decade? 20-30 is the fast progression of hair loss and 30+ it slows down?

There isn't a straight answer to this. 

Some people will bald in 2 years, others in 10, others might take 20. If you're on Finasteride/Dutasteride you will likely be able to keep it for life (being controversial but i'm an optimistic when it comes to meds) thats my view. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

If you're on Finasteride/Dutasteride you will likely be able to keep it for life (being controversial but i'm an optimistic when it comes to meds) thats my view. 

Optimistic is good. Blocking DHT while you are young is a good strategy for retaining your hair.

As we age, our DHT levels become less and, therefore, less of a factor in hair loss.

The sting in the tail, like every other organ in the human body, we degrade with age. Hair FU's are no different.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I don't think there is any data out there one way or another on this so basically, you're just going off of anecdotal evidence. There is evidence that DHT declines (Along with Testosterone) as you get older, so perhaps that leads to slower loss. But it really depends on your hair follicles genetic susceptibility to DHT. If your hair follicle has a high affinity for DHT, it doesn't matter if your DHT gets lower because some will always be circulating and will find its way to your hair follicles. 

I’m just going off what I saw on a hair restoration doctor’s site. But I honestly have no idea of progression does slow down. So thank you for you comment!

4 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

There isn't a straight answer to this. 

Some people will bald in 2 years, others in 10, others might take 20. If you're on Finasteride/Dutasteride you will likely be able to keep it for life (being controversial but i'm an optimistic when it comes to meds) thats my view. 

Interesting. You think that meds save everyone? Some may have a higher dht than meds can block and this still bald on the meds? But if dht lessens as we age then the med may work better for someone that is 35 than 25?

3 hours ago, NikosHair said:

Optimistic is good. Blocking DHT while you are young is a good strategy for retaining your hair.

As we age, our DHT levels become less and, therefore, less of a factor in hair loss.

The sting in the tail, like every other organ in the human body, we degrade with age. Hair FU's are no different.

Agreed. There is actually a debate about the so called "senile alopecia" which could be related to losing the hair due to aging. Howeaver even in such cases Minoxidil is said to be highly effective in ensuring prevention as a monotherapy according to some studies cited by Kevin Mann. 

It will also depend on your sensitivity to DHT. I think with the future stack of anti androgens that it will be coming alongside dutasteride and Finasteride will ensure that no further damage is made to the hair itself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Interesting. You think that meds save everyone? Some may have a higher dht than meds can block and this still bald on the meds? But if dht lessens as we age then the med may work better for someone that is 35 than 25?

There ain't no medicine that is 100% effective in everyone saddly but I would say that most people who get into meds early when they reach that age should be able to retain their hair without much fuss

And for other causes of balding that come with age unrelated to aga Minoxidil could also be able to fight it off. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Once you've lost a significant amount of hair, it has to slow down because you don't have as much hair left to lose. For example:

If you have 100,000 hairs and you lose 10% of those in 1 year then you lost 10,000 hairs and you have 90,000 hairs left.

If you lose another 10% the next year then you lost 9,000 hairs and have 81,000 left.

If you lose another 10% the next year then you lost 8,100 hairs and you have 72,900 hairs left

If you lose another 10% the next year then you lost $7,290 hairs and you have 65,610 hairs left.

You are losing less hairs every year, but the percentage rate has stayed the same. So is your hair loss slowing down? It depends on how you look at it.

Now I'm not saying that is how hair loss happens for anyone. I'm just showing you that once you get into NW 4 or 5 territory it has to slow down significantly because you don't have the hair left to keep the same pace. Obviously once you are bald in any area you can't lose any more hair from that area, so it goes to 0 loss in that area every year past that.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

Yeh ofcourse the percentage may be same but the numbers change....medication lower the percentage but if someone doesn't get any side effects and can continue it for long...bt at certain stage even without medication it naturally gets stabilised too for many people ..its not that at 25 is someone is nw3 than at 50 he is surely nw7....this thing varies from person to person and no one can predict that....as most of the people here in the community are chasing hairs..science will always chase the nature...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023